Website in Spanish (or other languages)

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
harddrive

Website in Spanish (or other languages)

Post by harddrive »

I don't know if everyone else is having this problem, but when I load lds.org in firefox, I got to the HTTPS version and it takes me to the spanish page. However, when I do it in IE, I go to the correct language.

Weird.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Website in Spanish

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:I don't know if everyone else is having this problem, but when I load lds.org in firefox, I got to the HTTPS version and it takes me to the spanish page. However, when I do it in IE, I go to the correct language.

Weird.
Yes, I have had Spanish pages pop up quite regularly today courtesy of lds.org. It seems that the old weirdness has returned again. FF 12.0.

If I edit the URL changing spa to eng and reload, I am back in familiar territory again.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have also been having occasional experiences with LDSl.org changing to Spanish over the past two days. I have not done any detailed investigation into the parameters in which this happens. I am using Firfox 21.0.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

A couple of days ago I went into the "Newsletter" section of lds.org and experienced the same thing - pages in Spanish. I didn't see any portion of the URL that indicated a language, so I added my own to get back to English. Definitely weird. I was using FF v21. Also, I have FF configured to clear the browser pages when the browser is closed.

It's been months since this has happened to me, so something was recently updated on lds.org to bring this about - again.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I'm running Firefox 21 as well. So somethings up. It is just annoying and I'm slowly learning spanish :-D.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:If I edit the URL changing spa to eng and reload, I am back in familiar territory again.
techgy wrote:I didn't see any portion of the URL that indicated a language, so I added my own to get back to English.
Although adjusting the URL to have "lang=eng" will work, it's often simpler to just click on the language selector in the header (the one with the globe icon) and pick English.

And I am experiencing the same issue with Spanish -- even after clearing my cookies and cache, if I open a new browser window/tab and go to LDS.org, it is in Spanish. This only happens to me in Firefox -- IE and Chrome have no such issue.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Although adjusting the URL to have "lang=eng" will work, it's often simpler to just click on the language selector in the header (the one with the globe icon) and pick English.
True. But changing the URL has always worked for me. Changing the language selector has not always provided the selected language, and in my most recent case, the language globe was hidden under the Church Websites drop down box and was not available to select.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I've played around with this trying to find something I could include in my feedback through the LDS.org feedback link. This is what I found.

My language is English. I get the LDS.org home page in Spanish some times. The method in which I arrive at the LDS.org page determines whether the language is in English or in Spanish.

When navigating to LDS.org using the regular URL "http://www.lds.org/" results in the page coming up in English. However, when using the secure URL "https://www.lds.org/" the page comes up in Spanish. Of course I must be signed into another Church site using the LDS Account single sign-in before navigating to LDS.org for the secure URL to function.

The problem appears to be in the redirection of the secure URL to the complete page URL with the language appended. Clearing the browser cache and cookies has no affect on the results.

I check the results in the browsers IE8, IE10, Chrome, and Firefox. Firefox was the only one that had the language problem.

So my results are the same as aebrown's.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, and I'll add a reference to my post from yesterday. I'm finding different browsers default differently with just "lds.org" in the URL.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I had a problem with the calendar and directory flipping to Spanish using Chrome a few days ago.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Main Church Website”