Server for ward

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
johnshaw

Re: Server for ward

Post by johnshaw »

One problem that most of us have is how highly saturated the bandwidth is in Utah. I hear regularly of meetinghoues/stake centers with 40-50 Mbps in their stake centers... Utah is regularly in the top 5 of connected users/bandwidth per user in the country. Additionally with the number of churches in the Mormon Corridor makes a cost/per/connection pricing with large vendors a very low price where the concentration is high.

So here in Missouri $49.95 per month gets you 1.5 Mbps Down connections, in Utah that's a 30 Mbps Down speed.

All these factors lead me to understand completely why in Utah a group of technologists would think, 'does this really need to be done right now' - because streaming all you want works fine in my ward here in SLC.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

JohnShaw wrote:...because streaming all you want works fine in my ward here in SLC.
This is not actually the case. Even in areas that have a large abundance of Internet bandwidth available, members are encouraged to ALWAYS download media beforehand and avoid streaming whenever possible. The biggest reason is the church's servers are just not able to sustain the load that would otherwise be put on them, and they are well aware of that.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Mikerowaved wrote:The biggest reason is the church's servers are just not able to sustain the load that would otherwise be put on them, and they are well aware of that.
So, I was using some hyperbole to make a point - However I'm not inclined to believe this is the case. I had an eloquent response written about how after-the-fact all the CFM stuff was, but it doesn't really matter, it's either Pearls before Swine or not airing dirty laundry to affect the weak among us.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
familiesr4ever

Post by familiesr4ever »

We setup a NAS which is easier to maintain if you just want to have a storage spot for FH, Seminary and Institute, Stake Presidency or Bishopric shared docs, etc. We used a 2 disk Synology NAS and it worked flawlessly.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”