Individual Ordinance Summary

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jensky

Individual Ordinance Summary

Post by jensky »

I'm a newly-called ward clerk. As I understand it, the membership record is only for bishops or clerks and can not be given out under any circumstances. However, the Individual Ordinance Summary can only be given directly to the member. Does that apply for minors as well? Is that all correct? I ask because the YW leaders have an activity planned where the girls need to activate LDS.org accounts, and they are asking me about it. Any info would be appreciated? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Individual Ordinance Summary

Post by russellhltn »

Looking at HB1 13:6, I don't see anything about not letting minors have their own IOS. The parents are allowed to have their children's IOS.

Now, giving the IOS to the YW leaders gives me pause. I don't know as there's anything prohibiting it, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd think it would be preferable to get the IOS directly to the YW.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Minor IOS can be viewed by the parents/guardians. If ward leaders need the youth IOS then they should get permission from the parents/guardians.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Now, giving the IOS to the YW leaders gives me pause. I don't know as there's anything prohibiting it, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd think it would be preferable to get the IOS directly to the YW.
The Handbook is pretty clear in that no membership record should be given to anyone except the Bishop and Clerks. And members are encouraged to have a copy of there IOS ,which is also a type or membership record. I think it would be appropriate to give one to each YW but not to the leaders. To make it easy you could print one out for each YW seal it in an envelope with the YW name on it. You could then give the envelops to the YW leaders to give to the girls at the activity.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:The Handbook is pretty clear in that no membership record should be given to anyone except the Bishop and Clerks.
But it goes on to distinguish between MR and IOS.

Gary_Miller wrote:And members are encouraged to have a copy of there IOS ,which is also a type or membership record. I think it would be appropriate to give one to each YW but not to the leaders. To make it easy you could print one out for each YW seal it in an envelope with the YW name on it. You could then give the envelops to the YW leaders to give to the girls at the activity.
That could work. I'd be a lot more comfortable with sealed envelopes then just handing it to the YW leaders. Of course that's assuming the YW would know that they should be getting sealed envelopes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:But it goes on to distinguish between MR and IOS.
Yes it does but a review of HB1:13.4.2, goes on to talk about when requested an IOS should be provided to the member. Nothing is said about providing it to other leaders.

russellhltn wrote:Of course that's assuming the YW would know that they should be getting sealed envelopes.
I don't think that detail is so important. Sometimes we just have to trust other leaders to do the right thing. If your worried about this then the clerk could attend the meeting and handout the IOS and explain what the purpose of an IOS is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Nothing is said about providing it to other leaders.
And nothing is said about not giving it to leaders. I don't like the idea of giving it to leaders. I'd certainly vote against it for adults. But I'm not seeing any language the says "no" in terms that the hard-to-convince would see as definitive.

russellhltn wrote:If your worried about this then the clerk could attend the meeting and handout the IOS and explain what the purpose of an IOS is.
Which might not be a bad thing.

stevenjameslund

Post by stevenjameslund »

Im pretty new at this... How do I access an IOS for someone?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As an alternate solution, the youth only need their Membership number and birth date to activate an LDS.org account (if I recall correctly). While these two pieces of information are on their IOS, you could easily set up a custom report to print the YW Names and their Membership #'s on one page that the leaders could have. The youth would presumably know their own birthdate, but that could be on the report as well for convenience.

To print the IOS, bring up the membership record of the individual in MLS and then print it. You will receive a popup box asking if it is for a bishop or clerk. Answer "no" and the IOS will print. The online membership information came out after I was released as clerk but I believe the online tools work the same way (I'm sure someone will chime in if I am incorrect).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:you could easily set up a custom report to print the YW Names and their Membership #'s on one page that the leaders could have.
I'd be very careful about doing that. Given that donations are tied to the MRN, if such a page is lost, you could trigger your state's mandatory reporting of a data breach.

I can understand using such a sheet for an activity, but I don't think handing that out to leaders to have "on file" is a good idea.

I believe some leaders can see MRNs in LDS Tools - and it's usually secured to keep it from falling into other's hands.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”