Xerox Phaser 3320 - junk

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
aclawson

Xerox Phaser 3320 - junk

Post by aclawson »

Newly delivered Xerox Phaser duplexing, wi-fi printer.

The following flaws are noted:

* Connection to a wireless network from the control panel is limited to WDS configuration only.

* PC-based admin configuration utility broken - when you click on the "wireless wizard" link it tells you that the application is not installed correctly and to re-install it.

* The printer will use the bypass tray only if tray 1 is physically removed or is empty

* There is reference to a network configuration utility for a 3320 variant, but Xerox appears to have never released it - even though the manual refers to that variant Xerox's website is decidedly lacking anything about it.

* Firmware cannot be updated from the PC via USB cable - you must use an enterprise administrator utility which cannot be located, and wouldn't work without an IP address anyway.

Can we please not switch printer models every month? There should be ONE or TWO models of printers that are always used, not this business where every single printer that gets replaced is a new and untested "solution" with completely different features and function.

And if at all possible, please avoid the smaller Xerox desktop units - they always try to over-engineer them and have far more problems than any other brand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Xerox Phaser 3320 - junk

Post by russellhltn »

We've had that model for a few years. But I agree, I'm not impressed. I've had one die out of warranty, while 8 year old HPs just keep working. There's also the issue of error messages - there are none. When it sits there with a red light, there is no way to know what is wrong. It has simplified my troubleshooting: I ask is the red light was blinking before. If the answer is "yes", I tell them to replace the toner. If the answer is "no", I replace the printer. That's what they are: disposable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I forgot to mention: just try and find toner locally. Not OfficeMax, not OfficeDepot. it has to be mailed ordered. But when it runs out, it just stops with a red light. There is no way to coax one more printout.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I've asked the local FM folk if they can blacklist this brand in the future. Hopefully I will never see one again. I think I'd be pushing my luck to have them return the newly delivered model though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The Family History Department seems to be into Lexmark. No complaints there.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I remember when we received Phaser 3250 printers about five years ago. They came with those underfilled demonstrator cartridges, which ran out within a month. All the clerks in my stake scrambled to order replacements. I had removed all the old printers and several unused toner cartridges. Now the units had to spend more budget funds on new toner.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Additional problems with this printer:

Cannot update the firmware. Period. When you connect to the printer's internal webpage and specify the location of the new firmware package the printer changes whatever you enter into "c:\fakepath\<filename>"

Their wireless configuration wizard still doesn't work - when I asked Xerox about it they sent me a copy of the firmware to flash the machine but as above it doesn't work.

This is a printer that should be avoided at all costs.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Chris Ricks, the product manager of the Church copier and printer program, will give the presentation for the December Web Broadcast, Friday Dec. 6 2013, 12:00 Noon MST.

Learn about the printer and copier equipment located in your local Church buildings (primarily US & Canada), the different roles and responsibility for those who are involved with this equipment and the program that the Church has in place to manage this equipment.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
gbekmezian

Post by gbekmezian »

drepouille wrote:Chris Ricks, the product manager of the Church copier and printer program, will give the presentation for the December Web Broadcast, Friday Dec. 6 2013, 12:00 Noon MST.
Was this recorded? Maybe you can post the link to the recording here.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gbekmezian wrote:
drepouille wrote:Chris Ricks, the product manager of the Church copier and printer program, will give the presentation for the December Web Broadcast, Friday Dec. 6 2013, 12:00 Noon MST.
Was this recorded? Maybe you can post the link to the recording here.
It can be viewed here.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”