Success with video conference tools

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
danpass

Post by danpass »

OK, you guys started it...
or this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns ... 46cd3.html

If you've seen episodes of the TV series 24, Cisco got this product placed there in more than one episode.
cottrells

Succes Story

Post by cottrells »

One of the Wards in the stake were I reside is located on an island over 100 miles away from the mainland. In the past we have had permission to send recordings of stake conference for the members to view the following week.

In April of this year we were issued with Polycom V500 units for the stake president to use to regularly interview the bishop face to face.

At the weekend these same units were use to provide a live link between the stake centre and the remote meetinghouse. The image broadcast was a static view, but we were able to show the speaker in profile and a portion of the congregation.

Initial feedback has been positive, even given the fact that no direct audio/video feed is able to be connected to this type of unit. The sound broadcasted was whatever the microphone picked up from the chapel (including coughs and cries), but the members were grateful to receive the conference message live and direct, and the hope is that this will help them feel a greater belonging with the rest of the stake.
carterw65-p40

Post by carterw65-p40 »

The Army used to use Polycom, I guess some units still may. We have moved to Tanbergs. I just recently set up a desktop suite for my commander. Until then, Skype is one of the biggies out there and you could try the good old Microsoft Netmeeting. It has a little bit of a frustrating learning curve and you have to find a reliable server, but it works.
GerrardSL

Thanks for input

Post by GerrardSL »

Thanks for the input. We're making those Polycom units available for stakes to order through ldscatalog.com. They should be there in about a week to 10 days (there is a freeze due to conference on IT stuff). Glad to hear these were working for you.

On the consumer ones, yes, you need a headset so you don't hear the typing. It improves your listening ability too.

Shanna
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

sgerrard wrote:Thanks for the input. We're making those Polycom units available for stakes to order through ldscatalog.com.

Has any investigation been done into whether the Polycom PVX software would be suitable for connecting local units into the Polycom VC units? It seems to have all the functionality described for the hardware units and would be a low cost, scalable option with a variety of useful applications.
cottrells wrote:Initial feedback has been positive, even given the fact that no direct audio/video feed is able to be connected to this type of unit. The sound broadcasted was whatever the microphone picked up from the chapel (including coughs and cries), but the members were grateful to receive the conference message live and direct, and the hope is that this will help them feel a greater belonging with the rest of the stake.

The software solution would open up the option of connecting a direct audio feed for broadcast events.
lionelwalters

Post by lionelwalters »

Until the officially supported personal video conference software is released, ooVoo has been suggested as a possible alternative. I have obtained some developer privileges from ooVoo that allow me to host up to six simultaneous six-way conferences from my subscription. I have created a basic webpage to allow general access to these rooms for Church use and invite any interested parties to use it. I hope this is of some benefit to stakes that need it.

The page is located at:
http://vsc.lswalters.com

If you have any questions, feel free to private message me.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”