Old lds infobase library conversion program for OSX?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mikengray-p40

Old lds infobase library conversion program for OSX?

Post by mikengray-p40 »

Hi all,
I have an old LDS infobase program that only works on my Mac OS 9. It has hundreds of LDS documents and books I've used many times in the past to research topics. My question is if anyone knows of a product (preferably shareware) that will convert old infobases into something useable/searchable under todays standards and will work on OS X? I have delayed upgrading one of my systems so I can still get access to my infobases.
I know there is an online subscription-based service that does the same thing, but I can't see purchasing a subscription to books/materials I already own.
Any ideas?

-Mike
rwells1938

Post by rwells1938 »

mikengray-p40 wrote:Hi all,
I have an old LDS infobase program that only works on my Mac OS 9. It has hundreds of LDS documents and books I've used many times in the past to research topics. My question is if anyone knows of a product (preferably shareware) that will convert old infobases into something useable/searchable under todays standards and will work on OS X? I have delayed upgrading one of my systems so I can still get access to my infobases.
I know there is an online subscription-based service that does the same thing, but I can't see purchasing a subscription to books/materials I already own.
Any ideas?

-Mike

This is a pretty old post but I have a copy of LDS Collectors Library 97 that I would like to use on an iPad. Any suggestions?

Thanks
roger
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That product used Folio Views and related software from the same party. Folio Views was also widely used by the Church as well, mainly for genealogy and family history products in the late-1990s, although they used something different from another vendor for the Pedigree Resource File, everything from just before that was using that software.
rtccccmg

Re: Old lds infobase library conversion program for OSX?

Post by rtccccmg »

It is 2022 and I am so frustrated with trying to find pertinent information on the net today. There is so much bad that you can't get to the good anymore. I loved my LDS Collector's Library and Infobases Collector's Library but they don't work on our 'modern' computers. Do they sell one that is for 2022 or is there a way to use these old disks that my computer won't recognize?
wlsore

Re: Old lds infobase library conversion program for OSX?

Post by wlsore »

Referring to the post dated 2022. I too would like to use the Gospel library on my current computer. My approach, not tried yet is the following. It may not work for you, in fact it may not work for me. Here is my plan. Depending on your computer skills, you may want to ask help of a neighbor or friend who is comfortable with installing operating systems on a clean system. I do not know about Apple computers, this approach is for a PC.

0) Make a backup of you existing computer operating system and important files. Save this to an offline disk, SSD or other backup device. Make sure you know how to restore your system if it needs a complete reinstall. If this scares you, you may want to reconsider this approach.

1) On my PC (Windows based), I plan to install a virtual machine. In Win 10 professional version there is a "Hyper-V" virtual machine available. There are also other software apps that will create a virtual machine in case you have the Home version, some of which are free. You will need to google to find the software needed (or buy it). Install the virtual machine.

2) I have kept the original installation disks of Windows ME and Windows 7 (which included an XP emulator in which LDS Collectors Library 2009 could run). If these can install in the virtual machine I will be halfway there. I don't think this runs into any copyright issues for me, but I need to check that. If you do not have old operating systems, you may be able to buy them on Ebay or other site.

3) Now install the old operating system into the virtual machine only! Do not install over your existing operating system. If you run into trouble restore your backup and consider whether you want to try again.

4) Once the old operating systems are installed, I can try to install and run the LDS Collector's Library '97 and 2009 (I own both but like you I can't get them to run under the current Windows). I note that the 2009 version needs access to the internet to check for a valid license. Since Windows ME was created around 2000, it may be close enough in age to run these older programs I have that I would like to resurrect.

5) A few words of caution. I think this may work but could be wrong. It is also risky to use old operating systems that are no longer patched for purposes of doing internet searches or running unknown programs. The virtual machine "sand box" may limit damage from bugs, viruses, or other malicious programs, but the risk is still there. Make sure you follow directions for properly installing and using the virtual machine.

I wish both you and me luck.

Return to “General Discussions”