No VPN Signal

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I dug a bit deeper and it appears the lease time is for a duration, rather then a fixed time/date. So the time/date in the router shouldn't be an issue.
Russell,

I'm currently crossing my fingers and holding my breath. I went by the stake again this afternoon and w/o the ASA in place the Internet was still giving me problems. Further checking revealed something that I'm embarrassed to mention.

The DSL modem had the logon ID of another of the four buildings in our stake (same ISP) instead of the logon for the stake center. I can only admit to being alseep when I set this up :)

Anyway, I changed the logon to what it should be for the stake and then contacted the ISP to determine if what I had found would have been a cause of the Intermittent Internet. I was told yes, that this could have been the issue. Whether or not it turns out that way, well.....I'll check again on Friday. If the Internet is still up then back goes the ASA. If not.....

Everyone here has been very supportive and I express my thanks for the quick responses.
I'm just hoping that this is the problem.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The saga continues, but I think we've nailed it down to the ASA.
Yesterday I removed the ASA and after getting the logon correct :), I left things in that condition - w/o the ASA. I stopped by the building today and everything was going. No DSL problem. So I thought - well, let's try the firewall one more time.

I plugged in the ASA and within a couple of minutes the lights were all green including the VPN indicator. Hurray, so far, so good. I opened a browser and to my surprise the Internet was working ! Hurray.

I don't know what made me think of checking but I thought I'd try a site that had been blocked before. Well, it wasn't block this time. I tried a few other sites that I knew had been blocked before, including my own domain and they were all open. I called the GSD and provided the ticket number that was still pending. I told them that I needed the ASA reprogrammed and explained the situation. I don't think this has occurred too many times as the tech appeared to be surprised.

Long story short, he was unable to program the ASA. Same problem as before. Each time he tried it kicked him out and shut down the ASA. We have decided that the 5505 is faulty and I'll be ordering a replacement.

I mention this because I wonder how many others may have had the same problem. With the cost of this Cisco equipment you'd think that they would be checked out a little better before they're shipped. Guess this one slipped by.

The GSD told me that the ASA's are on back-order, so this may take some time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's completely possible the hardware is ok, it's just the software or firmware has become corrupted. I don't know how hard it is to field program them from scratch. You might offer to send yours in and see if they can fix it once it's in their own hands.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Russell,

That's a possibility. I need to call the distribution center on Monday and I'll check how long the backorder is. If it's a couple of weeks, then it might be faster to send the box in. However, we've had problems with this box for quite a while and recently, through the use of the console cable, the GSD tech reprogrammed the box and we still had problems.

If there was a way of doing a complete reset and return things back to its original configuration that might be helpful, but I think I'd ather start fresh as their could still be issues with the hardward that's causing the corruption.
techgy
Community Moderators

Return of Hardware (ASA)

Post by techgy »

I'm posting this in the event that someone else may need to return a piece of hardware for replacement. It's an interesting saga.

The tour started off with multiple calls to the GSD to obtain a resolution to a problem with an ASA firewall that we'd received. I won't go into the details as they're already in another thread. During the course of this ticket I inquired to whom I was to return the ASA in event that it was decided that it was faulty.

I was told by one person at the GSD that the ASA would go back to the distribution center. On another call the next day as a follow-up to actions taken the previous day we decided that the firewall WAS faulty and should be returned. I asked to whom it should go and was told that it was to be returned to the GSD.

After realizing that the procedure obviously wasn't nailed down, I inquired a third time and again was told to contact the distribution center. I then called the distribution center and after being directed to the person who handled these items I was told to contact someone at CHQ - I have his name, but I'd rather not post it here.

After contacting the individual I was told that I needed to speak to the distribution center. I was getting a little unraveled by this time and told him that I felt like I was going in circles and that I'd just been directed to him by the distribution center.

He took a breath and told me to send the package to him and he'd take care of it. I could then just order a replacement from distribution.

I go through this little tour because it would appear that there's no clear procedure in place to handle a return of these firewalls - and perhaps other items. If there is, then few individuals are aware of it. Somewhere in the scriptures it says "....my house is a house of order..." gotta work on that one :)

Is there a procedure and if so it would be good to post it.

Fortunately I'm through this little event. Others may not be.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:It's completely possible the hardware is ok, it's just the software or firmware has become corrupted. I don't know how hard it is to field program them from scratch.
They actually can by remote controlling an admin PC that's hooked directly to the internet, then program the ASA using the blue serial cable that came in the box. Just went through the procedure this morning.

This will be a neat trick in the future with many new PC's now being offered without an RS-232 port. :rolleyes:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Mikerowaved wrote:This will be a neat trick in the future with many new PC's now being offered without an RS-232 port. :rolleyes:
But there is a solution. Use a USB to Serial (DB-9) converter.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:They actually can by remote controlling an admin PC that's hooked directly to the internet, then program the ASA using the blue serial cable that came in the box. Just went through the procedure this morning.

This will be a neat trick in the future with many new PC's now being offered without an RS-232 port. :rolleyes:
Prior to deciding that the ASA was faulty it had actually been reprogrammed through the use of the console cable. The last time this was done, and I tested it a few days later, I discovered that the filtering was not working at all and the entire Internet was open.

Obviously there was a problem, but after chasing it for over a week I decided it was time to get a new box and it was sent back to CHQ today. A replacement has already been ordered. I agree with you that the problem is most likely the ASA software, but we've had little success in reprogramming it.

By the way does anyone know what effect the Reset button on the rear has? Is this just a power reset or does it actually reset the ASA back to a default state?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:By the way does anyone know what effect the Reset button on the rear has? Is this just a power reset or does it actually reset the ASA back to a default state?
Theuser's guide simply says that the reset button is "Reserved for future use." A quick scan of entries on forums by people who tried to use the button mostly seemed to say that it didn't do anything. But I didn't do very extensive research.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:But there is a solution. Use a USB to Serial (DB-9) converter.
Certainly. But it's not a standard issue item and I doubt most people (besides maybe you and me) will have one on hand when the need calls for.

Like the RESET button, the ASA also has a "reserved" USB jack. Might be time to get the latter working (if possible).

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”