Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching Application

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
TechnoBabel-p40

Post by TechnoBabel-p40 »

Based on the wiki, I can see that this project is on hold again. I sure don't understand why this isn't a priority for the Church. I think that the calling of Home and Visiting teacher is the most important calling a person can have. I sure wish this would get some attention rather than some of these other projects I've seen that are just "nice to haves."

I guess I shouldn't have let this project's existence get my hopes up. I've been waiting 10 years for this -- I guess another 10 more won't kill me.

TB
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

TechnoBabel wrote:Based on the wiki, I can see that this project is on hold again. I sure don't understand why this isn't a priority for the Church. I think that the calling of Home and Visiting teacher is the most important calling a person can have. I sure wish this would get some attention rather than some of these other projects I've seen that are just "nice to haves."

I guess I shouldn't have let this project's existence get my hopes up. I've been waiting 10 years for this -- I guess another 10 more won't kill me.

TB
I don't know the ins and out about those priorities and reasons for it being on-hold but needless to say they must sit with a broader picture than us.

What is a "nice to have" to one person is essential or of high value to another person and opposite.

If all church members used computers then the HT/VT is close to high value but if not all members use it then I can see that its value and purpose and usage needs to be carefully thought about on how to make sure all the processes can still cater for those not using computers and that include companionships as well as the quorum leaders.
Many of the other applications are a personal choise to use them but its not that easy with something like this where all people are involved.
ctrpapa

Post by ctrpapa »

For me, open source projects generally seem to fall into 1 of 3 categories:

1) Requires lots of members to use it in order to have value - Trying to get everyone in a ward to report their HT/VT stats online or confirm their address on a map is probably not going to happen regardless of how easy it is to do.

2) Has lots of value to a single member - Apps like Scriptures, Mormon Channel, Stake Directories/Calendar Tools, etc. that have immediate value to one individual are certainly worth while to build and will spread by word of mouth.

3) Small group collaboration - Apps such as a mobile MLS that helps quorum presidencies be more effective in tracking, updating and reporting on MLS data any place any time would have immediate value to a small percentage of members in leadership roles but possibly indirect value to all the membership.

I think that a home teaching app that falls under category (3) would probably work well and benefit a lot of members either directly or indirectly.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

ctrpapa wrote: 1) Requires lots of members to use it in order to have value - Trying to get everyone in a ward to report their HT/VT stats online or confirm their address on a map is probably not going to happen regardless of how easy it is to do.
I have to disagree with this to a certain extent. Let me break it into two parts.

First on reporting HT/VT stats online: I don't think you must have a majority of members doing this for it to have value. The more that do it the more value it has, but even if just a few do it, it is that much less work for leaders to get the rest of the reports by other means. Also in some cases I suspect some members might be more likely to report their stats online. I believe that will be the case for two reasons. One, it is a lot easier/faster than calling someone and telling them or leaving a voice mail they may not even get. Two, if you haven't done much or any HT/VT it would be easier to report that fact to a keyboard than to a person. Of course we don't want forget the need for leadership to meet one on one with the HT/VT on a regular basis.

Second, confirming locations on a map: I don't have a feel for what percentage of members would actually do that, but I don't think we need any where near a majority of members to do it. If it could be set up so a certain set members could be allowed to maintain that data, then I think a hand full of members in a ward could easily keep the information up to date. If I had access to update the map data I would go in right now and could easily get accurate positions for 10 or 15 families set in just a few minutes.

I have been called to help with emergency communication in our stake. I live in "low density Zion" (where the church is truer :) ). Having ACCURATE GPS coordinates would be an amazing resource for me in assessing the status and needs of members after a disaster. If you have ever driven through an area you thought you knew, that has been destroyed by a tornado, you know what I mean. I hope a procedures will be put in place that will make it as easy as possible to get and keep accurate map data on the members.

BTW I'm not sure what any of this has to do with "open source".

Chris W
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

cdw3423 wrote:Having ACCURATE GPS coordinates would be an amazing resource for me in assessing the status and needs of members after a disaster. If you have ever driven through an area you thought you knew, that has been destroyed by a tornado, you know what I mean. I hope a procedures will be put in place that will make it as easy as possible to get and keep accurate map data on the members.

Those procedures are already in place in the online maps website, which is now live under the Tools menu of www.lds.org. (This really has nothing to do with the proposed HT/VT app.)

That mapping application can capture accurate coordinates for each household. It does have to be done manually, though. Clerks would be primarily responsible for that, although members can also map their own household locations. Supporting emergency preparedness is a primary driver for the application.
Verscienta

Just saying...

Post by Verscienta »

The up and coming members of the church are more technically inclined and want this kind of interactive system. I am a Ward Clerk in a married student ward and one of the hardest things to get the members to do is answer the phone.

A Home teaching/Visiting Teaching application where they would be able report their teaching visits online would be amazing and have great benefit.

However, to add real benefit there should be an input box where they can put how their visit was and any information that would help the Elders Quorum and Relief Society Presidency make informed decisions. Of course these comments would only be visible to the presidencies.

If I had more programming skills I would gladly help with this, I am learning how to be a graphic designer/web designer so if you need help with this application let me know.
danpass

Post by danpass »

pfreeman11 wrote:The up and coming members of the church are more technically inclined and want this kind of interactive system. I am a Ward Clerk in a married student ward and one of the hardest things to get the members to do is answer the phone.

A Home teaching/Visiting Teaching application where they would be able report their teaching visits online would be amazing and have great benefit.

However, to add real benefit there should be an input box where they can put how their visit was and any information that would help the Elders Quorum and Relief Society Presidency make informed decisions. Of course these comments would only be visible to the presidencies.

If I had more programming skills I would gladly help with this, I am learning how to be a graphic designer/web designer so if you need help with this application let me know.
Until the official church solution becomes available, you might want to check out returnandreport.org. Your Bishop will need to approve its use in your ward. Our ward has recently begun using it and priesthood leadership as well as quorum members are very pleased. This system does include the feature that you describe, where the home teacher can make comments which only the leaders can read.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Thanks, danpass,

Please ask your Bishop to see section "Members' Use of the Internet in Church Callings" in the Stake and Bishop 2010 Handbook page 157 to assist him in making a decision on whether or not to approve the use of the ReturnAndReport.org application.

Brad O.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

danpass wrote:Until the official church solution becomes available, you might want to check out returnandreport.org. Your Bishop will need to approve its use in your ward. Our ward has recently begun using it and priesthood leadership as well as quorum members are very pleased. This system does include the feature that you describe, where the home teacher can make comments which only the leaders can read.

I thought returnandreport.org seemed like it would be really cool. I never could get it to work, even after paying for a year subscription.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TerrySackett wrote:I thought returnandreport.org seemed like it would be really cool. I never could get it to work, even after paying a for a year subscription.
Are you really talking about returnandreport.org? That's always been free.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Development Help Wanted”