Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching Application

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
deggertsen

Post by deggertsen »

Thanks aebrown. It would definitely be nice to hear something from the inside development team, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

I know, it's pathetic to simply not be able to get 100% all the time or at least close to it despite the tools we have to help push people to do it. We can at least make sure that we as individuals do our duty, but unfortunately there are many who do not have it as a top priority. I sadly find that some people need an almost constant reminder to get it done or they just forget. These tools would lessen the administrative burden to produce those reminders.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Deggertsen wrote:Thanks aebrown. It would definitely be nice to hear something from the inside development team, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

I know, it's pathetic to simply not be able to get 100% all the time or at least close to it despite the tools we have to help push people to do it. We can at least make sure that we as individuals do our duty, but unfortunately there are many who do not have it as a top priority. I sadly find that some people need an almost constant reminder to get it done or they just forget. These tools would lessen the administrative burden to produce those reminders.
I would like to say +1 to the idea of having at least a glimpse of what is being worked on. I have expressed to an annoying degree on this board that it doesn't make any sense to me that this development effort is kept from the group most likely to be impacted by the applications being rolled out.

Deggertsen, I have concluded, personally, that the problem stems from the End users of the solutions are not the 'customers' of the app developers, but that the different organizations inside the Church are their customers.

My personal take on the HT/VT is that, to me, a person who doesn't seen the benefit of HT, or feel the responsibility or duty, and personal motivation to go is not likely to go because of a reminder from a person or an email or text.

I think the best improvement is from leaders recognizing who their 'great' home teachers are, and who are not, and pairing a strong brother with one that isn't, and re-evaluating regularly. I've been asked to serve as an Exec Sec twice, and a clerk 3 times.... Not a single ward was reviewing HT numbers and families that weren't being home taught, even though MLS is designed around this regular review, and the handbook also directed that this take place. I don't feel a tool will deliver benefit if administrative items are not being regularly reviewed in leadership meetings. Maybe My experience is an anomaly....
deggertsen

Post by deggertsen »

JohnShaw wrote:I think the best improvement is from leaders recognizing who their 'great' home teachers are, and who are not, and pairing a strong brother with one that isn't, and re-evaluating regularly. I've been asked to serve as an Exec Sec twice, and a clerk 3 times.... Not a single ward was reviewing HT numbers and families that weren't being home taught, even though MLS is designed around this regular review, and the handbook also directed that this take place. I don't feel a tool will deliver benefit if administrative items are not being regularly reviewed in leadership meetings. Maybe My experience is an anomaly....

I agree. Leadership must always set an example and be very involved in what is happening with ht/vt. Nothing can compensate for that. We can definitely work to ease that task though, and this project would definitely be a step up.

I have been very excited about having so much of the reports and tasks available online as it allows me as a ward clerk to work on things at home or while the computer in the clerks office is already in use. It just seems almost silly to me that ht/vt would be one of the last things added, seeing as it is so vital to the church. I have found myself multiple times wanting to look up who a family's home teachers are and simply not being able to because I would have to go to the clerks office to find out or carry around a paper copy of all the assignments. This tool would help if for no other reason than because it will make these items more easily reviewed in leadership meetings and elsewhere.
deggertsen

Re: Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching Application

Post by deggertsen »

Recently saw in a message in MLS that the church is planning to have Home Teaching / Visiting Teaching in the leadership resources on lds.org starting sometime later this year! Not exactly sure what that means, but I hope I'm not getting excited over nothing!

Return to “Development Help Wanted”