Temple Divorce Form

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
llasater

Temple Divorce Form

Post by llasater »

I'm the ward clerk and was asked by my Bishop to look into the paperwork for a Temple Divorce. Where is the form located to get started on this process?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Temple Divorce Form

Post by sbradshaw »

Instructions for the cancellation of a sealing can be found in Handbook 1, section 3.6.1. The form to be submitted is the "Application to the First Presidency," which is available in MLS.

As a side note, I would be careful about using the term "Temple Divorce." The word has a lot of things attached to it that don't apply to a temple sealing; for example, a member who has been legally divorced but is worthy can retain the blessings associated with her temple sealing, including even if they civilly marry another person outside the temple. Sealings are generally only annulled right before a person is ready to be sealed again (or if a person has disciplinary action, which is another topic).
lauragsmith

Post by lauragsmith »

How do I start the process for a temple cancellation?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lauragsmith wrote:How do I start the process for a temple cancellation?
Start with talking with your bishop. He will need to submit an Application to the First Presidency.

Note that sealings are not typically canceled for women until they're ready to re-marry. Canceling the sealing also cancels all the promises and blessings that come with the sealing. Even with a sealing in place, you will not be bound to anyone against your will.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
elizabethlydiameyer

Post by elizabethlydiameyer »

Can I get a sealing Cancellation before I am engaged to the guy I am dating?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

elizabethlydiameyer wrote:Can I get a sealing Cancellation before I am engaged to the guy I am dating?
Normally you would make the request to cancel a sealing when you are ready to be sealed to someone new. But the best thing to do is to speak with your bishop about your circumstances so that he and you may work out the details of your situation according to the instructions in the Handbook.
BostonBob63

Post by BostonBob63 »

I need a Temple Cancellation and Divorce from my former wife, ... [personal details removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal destails
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BostonBob63 wrote:I need a Temple Cancellation and Divorce from my former wife,
This is a user-to-user public forum. As such, the details have been removed from your post.

The starting point is to talk to your current bishop. He can guide you though the process. Typically, for a male, the process is to get a clearance from the First Presidency. No sealing cancelation is done as would be required for a female. But again, your bishop can get the process started.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fishslaver

Post by fishslaver »

My former wife requested a sealing cancellation. I recieved an email from her bishop stating this with a statement I had to fill out. My question is can i be sealed to my new wife now that this has taken place?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fishslaver wrote:My question is can i be sealed to my new wife now that this has taken place?
You need a sealing clearance from the First Presidency to be sealed to your current wife. Administratively, the cancellation of the prior sealing doesn't appear to change anything. I don't know if it is something the First Presidency takes into consideration.

Return to “Reports and Forms”