Ipad Mini's for Missionaries

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
tafollam

Re: Ipad Mini's for Missionaries

Post by tafollam »

I wish every one could get the missionary area book app.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote:Hopefully the delay in implementing the solution is to include an android option so missionaries could choose devices that are a few hundred dollars cheaper rather than a premium product.
The more devices you have, the harder it is to support them – especially when you're trying to regulate how the devices are used. The mission office needs to be able to support any missionaries with problems. Then there's the actual programming of apps. It takes a lot of resources to program both an iOS and an Android version of an app (like the area book app).

Perhaps they could choose one Android alternative; or, they might've gone with Android to begin with – but all of the church's apps start on iOS so the iOS versions are usually fully-featured first. I think it's a lot easier for the church to support iOS.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

sbradshaw wrote:The more devices you have, the harder it is to support them – especially when you're trying to regulate how the devices are used. The mission office needs to be able to support any missionaries with problems. Then there's the actual programming of apps. It takes a lot of resources to program both an iOS and an Android version of an app (like the area book app).

Perhaps they could choose one Android alternative; or, they might've gone with Android to begin with – but all of the church's apps start on iOS so the iOS versions are usually fully-featured first. I think it's a lot easier for the church to support iOS.
My apologies, I must have thought this stuff just grows on trees.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
smwatkins

Post by smwatkins »

Current Full Time Missionary here:

I'm super excited to have an iPad as a tool to help out missionary work. When they are coming to my specific mission, no one seems to be sure, but I hope soon.

Does anyone have any specifics to what we as missionaries will be using the iPads? We haven't heard anything besides the Gospel Library App, the Area Book App, and possibly Facebook. Anything else that we'll be able to do with our iPads? Will there some way that we could electronically share our schedule/planner/area book with the ward mission leader or bishop or other ward members? Will ALL iPads come paired with an iPhone for a hotspot? Will features like the built in calendar be able to be implemented for such things like a meal calendar? Will we be able to use the internet in any other extended way? Will other apps be available for us to use? Anyway I can provide feedback or offer suggestions to tech department of the church once our mission does get iPads?

Just a lot of questions and ideas floating around in my head, and I don't know who to talk to. Anyone know more than I do?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I've asked questions on this page before and gotten info:
https://www.facebook.com/missionipads
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

smwatkins wrote:Current Full Time Missionary here: . . .
Does anyone have any specifics to what we as missionaries will be using the iPads?
I am sure that when the time comes your Mission President will provide instructions through your Zone and District Leaders.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I remember the time I felt so guilty on my mission for going inside a mall or shop for 10 minutes to get warm....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
smwatkins

Post by smwatkins »

sbradshaw wrote:I've asked questions on this page before and gotten info:
https://www.facebook.com/missionipads
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
lajackson wrote:I am sure that when the time comes your Mission President will provide instructions through your Zone and District Leaders.
Yeah, I know they will. I was just curious if anyone else knew of anything...
johnshaw wrote:I remember the time I felt so guilty on my mission for going inside a mall or shop for 10 minutes to get warm....
Haha it must have been really cold then.
Our mission president allows us to go the church websites, like Mormon.org and BibleVideos.org, and lds.org.
smwatkins

Post by smwatkins »

It's about the end of the year, and still no news of iPads. Has Apple's new lineup or new iOS slowed things down? Any idea?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

smwatkins wrote:It's about the end of the year, and still no news of iPads. Has Apple's new lineup or new iOS slowed things down? Any idea?
I don't know what the process is, but it varies in different areas of the church. Not all missions around the world are getting iPads – so far the only areas mentioned have been the United States, Canada, Japan, and western Europe*. What mission are you serving in?

Also, I think during the pilot program the church bought the iPads themselves, but more recently missionaries are paying for their own iPads before their missions (through the church). This funding transition might be causing delays.

* https://www.lds.org/church/news/more-mi ... l?lang=eng

Return to “In The News”