Book of Mormon Stories-Help Wanted!

Gospel App & Game Contest in conjunction with previous LDSTech Conferences
dcooleo343

Post by dcooleo343 »

Hio everybody!
I'm so excited about this game and app contest. A conversation at the start of my mission sparked the idea of a Book of Mormon game. I wrote up a lot of ideas and this conference has given me extra motivation to move from story boarding to creating. Basically, it's a First Person adventure game. You play as Book of Mormon heroes, re-enacting key events in their lives. The purpose is to help people better understand the overall narrative of the Book of Mormon, identify with these people, and feel the Spirit testify and motivate to study the Book of Mormon. I want it to be playable alone or multiplayer.
Now, I don't have coding, animation, or scripting experience, but I am very skilled with 3d Modeling (Engineering student and assistant teacher). Currently, I am working on a pre-alpha or concept version of the game using Project Spark for Xbox One. This is introducing me to the world of coding, albeit very gently. The plan is to have this concept version ready to demo at the tech conference this year, so that Developers with the skills to make the game can catch the vision of it. With that being said, I have quite a few different software to aid in game creation. I have Unity, Blender, and various others I've found over the last year. I'd like to use one of these to move forward in making the actual game, and I am more than willing to turn this into a team effort. If you are interested in helping whether through programming, coding, animation, concept design, and even ideas, you can comment here, PM me, or email me at dcooleo343@gmail.com. If there's enough interest, we might be able to do a level or chapter demo from scratch for October. Feel free to post comments or questions too!
fhyzer

Re: Book of Mormon Stories-Help Wanted!

Post by fhyzer »

dcooleo343,

I had the same idea in a sense, but it is a 3rd person game, more cartoonish in nature. My app is almost completed, with all the 3d art work and animations done. My game covers the beginning of the book of Mormon, specifically 1 Nephi: 1 & 2. It is mostly about Lehi and Jeremiah. It is actually a game that teaches a lot on the culture of Jerusalem at the time. It will be completed shortly. I am posting this because once I have the completed the first game (it's called Lehi's Escape), I will use much of the same artwork to make The Return of Nephi. I am hoping to have both completed by the October conference. The Return of Nephi will be tight for me to complete everything in time, but if there is team interested in helping me with it, most of the art work and coding will be already completed. My documentation is lacking in the code (I wrote it all myself), but I can explain it if needed and I will add the documentation. I know that I can do all of it myself, but I know that I need to start building a team. Here is a picture of Nephi to get an idea of the graphics that will be used. I am not sure if there are other people working on a similar project, but mine will be on the market in the next few weeks. I currently finishing up the narration, which has been the hardest part to get through. That is because there are 40 different characters, 27 different missions, 10 scenes, and each person has something to say for each mission. Lehi completes the missions and returns back to the person who asked him for the mission. I am still coding the enemy AI that will reduce your Faith bar as enemies get you. I am pretty excited about it and I have been working on this project full time since end of April. If you want to work on The Return of Nephi with me, you are welcome to and we work through the details of it. The platforms being targeted are Android, Windows Phone, iOS, and PC/web. This is a good opportunity for anyone new and not sure where to start. Anyone interested in helping with the project can contact me at freemanhyzer@gmail.com.
Attachments
Nephi1.png
A Picture of 3D Nephi Copyrighted by The Hyzer Company LLC
(377.02 KiB) Downloaded 29263 times
fhyzer

Post by fhyzer »

It doesn't seem like I got much of a response, but I did want to say I am finally getting Lehi's Escape published. I put the intro video up earlier to YouTube. The game plays smoother then the video. Here is the link if anyone is interested in seeing it. Also if anyone wants to help with The Return of Nephi, again, let me know. I will let people know when the game is done being published.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQE6lBL1Zk
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

If you wish I can help with Pc coding and, most of all, with Italian translation.
fhyzer

Post by fhyzer »

That would be great. Just send an e-mail to thehyzercompanyllc@gmail.com. That way we can work out details outside the forum. :)

I also wanted to throw out there, the video posted above on youtube is appropriate for all ages. It appears that youtube is having some issues with their safety mode. People can watch the video if they disable the safety, but please turn it back on afterwards. It was blocking even me, so I had to do some research.
dcooleo343

Post by dcooleo343 »

I have taken some advice to utlilize Unity for this project. I have looked at Lehi's Escape and like what it does. My game is designed primarily for Teens, and it would fit much better as a PC and Console game than as an app. Ideally, the graphics will lean more towards realism and immersion. I am training in Unity and have imported real world terrain for Jerusalem. For this Octobers Conference, I think I could be done with 1 Nephi and present it at the conference. If anybody is interested in helping on this project, please contact me. Depending on how the conference goes, I'd like to use a Kinect to do model and motion capturing when expanding the game to the other books in the BoM
fhyzer

Post by fhyzer »

dcooleo343,

That is pretty neat project. I am happy to hear that you were able to get the topography of Jerusalem. I am pushing a big update to Lehi's Escape and appreciate you looking into it. I have learned a lot since then and I am submitting Nephi's Return. I am not sure if you got everything you wanted done, but it would be neat to see your work. I am focusing directly on Nephi's Return over the next few months and it is bigger than Lehi's Escape, but shares many of the new assets. It will be optimized for mobile. The characters are very low poly (<500 verts), but look good on the mobile platform. Here is my new Nephi.

https://sketchfab.com/models/afa6f4ec06 ... map=%5B%5D

I would not mind helping, but my target is more mobile versus PC. I do feel that having an example of people's projects would also help others see what type of project they would be involved in. Sketchfab is a good tool to showcase some of the art work, but also images and videos of what you are working I think would help get people involved.

Return to “Gospel App & Game Contest”