Media Library Use

Gospel App & Game Contest in conjunction with previous LDSTech Conferences
cdtrumpeter

Media Library Use

Post by cdtrumpeter »

I read on the Media Library page that "Specifically for material in the Media Library, you may post material from this site to another website or on a computer network for personal, church-related, noncommercial use unless otherwise indicated." Would that include being able to use images from the media library in our app for this contest so long as we aren't gaining any profit from the app?
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Media Library Use

Post by TimRiker »

As I posted above, yes. As long as it's "Church related" and noncommercial it should work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TimRiker wrote:and noncommercial it should work.
What is "noncommercial"? Is in-app ads OK?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

Yes, advertising or selling an app would clearly be commercial use. I am not a lawyer. I'm speaking here as my personal understanding. The wiki page mentions just distribution, so it's even more conservative than I am.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/ContestFAQ
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I also haven't studied law in-depth, but a broad definition of "commercial" could include any distribution of a product, whether paid or free.

It does say "you may post material ... to another website or on a computer network" so maybe that means that they are not concerned with the image being distributed outside of a for-profit context.

Note that permission is NOT specifically granted to modify the images (though it is not specifically prohibited here either). I would also suggest that you give credit to the LDS Media Library on a credits page or in a caption.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
trevorh

Post by trevorh »

And yet they give blanket permission for media outlets to use any of the images at the Newsroom site, which is clearly a for-profit use. It's too bad we can't have the same privilege.
ironhorse2004

Post by ironhorse2004 »

I guess I am still confused. Could one use photos from the Media Library for a cover picture on a Sacrament Meeting or Stake Conference Meeting Program??
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ironhorse2004 wrote:I guess I am still confused. Could one use photos from the Media Library for a cover picture on a Sacrament Meeting or Stake Conference Meeting Program??
I think you can. That's what I've been doing for my ward. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel App & Game Contest”