Stake-purchased computer running Vista

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Vince wrote:I feel there is other reasons other than storing data in the C:\Program files, as Micro$oft SQL default instance data path resides in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.INSTANCE\MSSQL\DATA.(as an example)
I think its to do with 'Folder Virtualization' in Windows Vista.
Yes, and "Program Files" is one of those folders that get virtualized, even if the current user is an admin. Obviously Microsoft probably knows a way around it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it. Microsoft says Isolated Storage is the way to go, at least in .NET-written code.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Vince wrote:Micro$oft SQL default instance data path resides in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.INSTANCE\MSSQL\DATA.(as an example)
"But you're a tech - you never run the 'Standard' install"' :D

Sorry, a bit of admonishment from an old supervisor - a voice I still hear every time I see that prompt. :rolleyes:

(I always pick 'Custom'. I usually accept the defaults, but I know something more about what's going on. It's just become a habit that that one day ten years ago....)

Yes, SQL does put it there. No, I don't think any admin would really want it there except maybe for demo or testbed systems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”