At the beginning of this topic I was working on a php/SQLite/web server solution. It failed because I didn't have the time to hammer it out. In the interim, FamilySearch.org has changed. My favorite change is the completely rebuilt source attachment process. Instead of a source being attached just to the person you are working on, it gets attached to everyone that is referenced. This single change has really improved accuracy (my opinion, not based on actual statistics.) My personal genealogical efforts have been focused on standardizing locations as well as attaching sources that FamilySearch.org finds. I have found that that RootsMagic allows me to pinpoint locations where standardization is needed.
What is my point? A multiplicity of tools in my family history toolbox improves the quality of my work and the amount I can contribute to my ancestors. In working on "FamilySearch.org in Africa", I can see where gedcomx/php can be used to merge data into FamilySearch.org. Using Microsoft Access has allows me a smaller development cycle. Additionally, databases are databases. What I mean is, Microsoft Access allows me to work through some of the structural issues. Later, I can transfer it to MySQL, or whatever. FamilySearch.org shows me one way to solve problems. RootsMagic has shown me others. The open source project GRAMPS has shown me yet more. The key is to make Family History tools accessible to our resource poor Brothers and Sisters.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests