Encouraging Use of Newsletter

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Encouraging Use of Newsletter

Post by aebrown »

gungy wrote:is there a way having a link in facebook to the newsletter?
You can capture a link to any article on Newsletter and post it wherever you want. When someone clicks on that link, they won't be able to view the article unless the person is signed in to LDS.org. If they are not signed in, they will be taken to the standard LDS.org sign in page, and once they successfully sign in, they will be automatically taken to the article you linked to (assuming they have permission to view the article).
mevans

Post by mevans »

gungy wrote:is there a way having a link in facebook to the newsletter?
You can copy the URL of a newsletter article and send it to people, put it in a facebook post, etc. If you're not already authenticated to lds.org, you will be prompted to do so before you can view the article. Only members of the appropriate unit will be able to see the article (i.e., stake members can see all articles on the stake newsletter; ward members can only see articles of their ward).
gungy

Post by gungy »

Thanks that is really helpful. Now the real tough question!
How can I encouage members to use Neswletter, and is there a way of counting how many people view??
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

IMHO, members will not use Newsletter or Lesson Schedules until they are available in LDS Tools. Even though calendar events are visible in LDS Tools, many members don't even look there for information about events.
Many more people use smart phones and tablets than PC/Macs. Logging in to lds.org on a smart phone is painful, so very few people even try to do so.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:IMHO, members will not use Newsletter or Lesson Schedules until they are available in LDS Tools.
For the general membership, that's probably true. But lesson scheduler is still good for coordinating teachers and classes. Likewise the Newsletter can be useful for forms and additional information.

drepouille wrote:Many more people use smart phones and tablets than PC/Macs. Logging in to lds.org on a smart phone is painful, so very few people even try to do so.
In some ways it's easier. I've found that Android at least allows the login to be memorized, so login is just one click. Syncing LDS Tools is harder.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

gungy wrote:Thanks that is really helpful. Now the real tough question!
How can I encouage members to use Neswletter, and is there a way of counting how many people view??
We recently began a closed group on Facebook for our ward. I am preparing to include links to the newsletter on our Facebook group. I have used links to other LDS.org applications and articles. Also the recent articles from this site are valuable. In some cases I used a URL shortened service. I noticed that they will give you data as to how many hits that URL has had. I am new to this strategy so if anyone can provide more instructive details please chime in. So my strategy is to give links of the articles with a short summary or teaser of why they need to go to this article. We should always invite our listeners/readers to action after we have told them something and given them a reason why they want to know more. In this case the action is to click on the link. the articles will invite them to important actions of "doers of the word".
rdmuller

Post by rdmuller »

Be aware that those members in your wards/branches who use a different language other than the "general" languages (like Dutch, in our case), will not see the buttons for newsletter (or lesson schedules). These and many other pages haven't been translated yet and are therefor not available to them. We actually got instruction to use LDS.org more and more, but interestingly roughly 90% of the tools and pages aren't available.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

It has been asked in this thread, if there is a way to count how many times our ward members access the newsletter. I have not seen a response. I attended LDSTech 2015 and in a social media class, the excellent teacher gave these helpful tools to track traffic at sites. The list of tools are: Google Alerts, Statigram, Storify, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, and Sharedcount.com.

Would any of you know if these could be used to count the times our newsletter has been accessed? How they work? What is the process of using the service?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:It has been asked in this thread, if there is a way to count how many times our ward members access the newsletter. I have not seen a response.
Although it may have not been answered explicitly, the fact is that many people have chimed in wishing it were possible. It is not possible at this point, and that's why so many people agreed.
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I attended LDSTech 2015 and in a social media class, the excellent teacher gave these helpful tools to track traffic at sites. The list of tools are: Google Alerts, Statigram, Storify, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, and Sharedcount.com.

Would any of you know if these could be used to count the times our newsletter has been accessed? How they work? What is the process of using the service?
I imagine any of those could be used by the site owner, but the site owner is not the individual wards, but is the Church. I guarantee that the Church gathers plenty of analytics on the usage of every part of LDS.org. But it's one thing to gather usage statistics, and quite another to break those down by ward/stake and devise a way to present those metrics to each ward/stake.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If your ward sends announcements out via email or Facebook when there's a new post on the Newsletter, you could generate a short URL using a service like Bit.ly and then track how many times that link was clicked. But there's no way for ward leaders to track a direct link or members who go to LDS.org and navigate to the Newsletter.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Newsletter”