Children sealing application to the First Presidency

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Children sealing application to the First Presidency

Post by jdlessley »

@rhmorgan67,

I, and I am sure others, understand your frustration. Written communications in the forum do not always come across as the writer intended and can cause hard feelings when the words used appear to be unfeeling and harsh. As I have reread this thread over and over I can see how someone looking for solace and direction for their situation can get the impression that what has been communicated just doesn't feel right or even hurtful and unjust. Rather than discuss personal situations here publicly in the forums we suggest speaking with your local leaders. I recommend speaking with your bishop. He should be able to offer some insight and inspiration specific to your situation. Should additional counsel be needed then perhaps you could speak with your stake president. You could also speak with a member of your temple presidency. I have found their inspiration on particularly personal temple matters quite helpful.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gregwanderson,

Please note that the handbook has been re-written since the thread paused 6 years ago.

From a doctrinal standpoint, it still remains that once sealed to parents, it's not necessary to redo it.

But now there seems to be some avenue to make a change. To do that, the stake president would have to submit the request to the First Presidency. (38.4.2.4)

I'd also point out this language in the Handbook:
Members who have concerns about the eternal nature of the sealing ordinance and their associated family and spousal relationships can find peace in the knowledge that Heavenly Father is loving and just. Faithful children who are sealed to parents or born in the covenant retain the blessing of eternal parentage. This is so even if their parents cancel their marriage sealing, have their Church membership withdrawn, or resign their membership.

Members who are divorced but still sealed to the former spouse are often troubled by the thought of that sealing. The sealing will not be compulsory in the postmortal life for either a man or a woman. If temple covenants are broken and no repentance is made, the sealing between the husband and wife is revoked. However, those who keep their covenants will retain the individual blessings provided by the sealing. This is the case even if the spouse has broken the covenants or withdrawn from the marriage.
You may want to review the sealing policies in the General Handbook which are now public.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
algon8364j

Post by algon8364j »

in respect to the above discussion; I want to know what is to be done if a spouse abandoned marriage for over three years, can the other partner move on by marrying another, while waiting for sealing cancellation?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

algon8364j wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:08 am in respect to the above discussion; I want to know what is to be done if a spouse abandoned marriage for over three years, can the other partner move on by marrying another, while waiting for sealing cancellation?
You can read the polices in General Handbook 38.4.1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LLSchneider

Post by LLSchneider »

I understand the point you are making. I, personally, struggled with being sealed to an abusive parent, and in my search for answers discovered that actually it is the ordinance that is important, and not the people involved. Here is why this is... ask yourself the purpose of Sealings. It's so that those receiving the ordinance will receive the blessings of the sealing, right? You get sealed to receive Sealing blessings. We often tend to think about things in terms of how things work here on Earth, such as marriages, child custody, parental rights and so forth. But, that isn't how things work on the other side. I also have an adopted daughter. She is an adult now and wants very much to be sealed to me and my husband, her biological father. All of her life I encouraged her to learn about her deceased biological mother and that family, and I prepared her to be sealed to them. So, I didn't know what to do with regard to her wanting to be sealed to me. I, of course, would love that, but didn't want her to have second thoughts or regrets down the road, and wanted her to be very sure. There has since been a lot of revelation given to our family that has helped us to accept that it is the right thing for our family. However, in my quest for answers I was given advice by another person who was sealed to a step-parent and then later wanted to be sealed to his biological parent. He had the privilege to speak to a general authority on this subject and when he asked if he could get his sealing to his step-parent cancelled, he was told it wasn't necessary. Now, I can't find this specifically documented in our church doctrine or on our church website; but, it is eluded to in section 38 of the Church Handbook. The reason my friend was given for why it wasn't necessary to cancel the sealing to his step-mother was because he was told that no biological parent who is WORTHY to be a part of your life but, lost that opportunity in this life through death, will ever be denied that privilege in the Celestial world. Yet, the step-parent or adopted parents, although they may have raised and loved the child, they will not have that privilege unless they are sealed to the child. So, by me being sealed to my adopted daughter, I AND her birth mother will both enjoy the blessings of being apart of her life in eternity, if we're all worthy. And, if for some reason neither I or her birth mother end up making it to the Celestial kingdom or being worthy of being with our daughter, then our daughter will still enjoy the blessings that come with the ordinance and enjoy relationships with her ancestors further up the tree. In addition to all of this it's important to understand that what we are supposed to be working toward as members is to become Godly parents and rule and reign as Queens, Kings, Priests and Priestesses over worlds and future children that will fill worlds. Now imagine the rejection that God endures from his children every second of every day, and still loves and forgives without bounds. How can we endure such things and rule in such a way when we have a vastly large family in eternity if we can't even establish loving and enduring relationships with the small number of people we are associated with here?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”