iCal not importing to computer or phone despite correct URL

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
clivesidney

Re: iCal not importing to computer or phone despite correct

Post by clivesidney »

Hello all

I am getting exactly the same problem.

I have issued a new sync code, and I can't sync on any of my devices. I have a Mac desktop, a Mac laptop, an iPad and an iPhone, and none of them can see my calendar now. For some reason I lost this on the phone some time ago, but now I can't get to the calendar on anything.

I have tried iCloud syncing, where only iCloud syncs with the LDS server, and then passes out the data to all the other devices, but no luck either.

If I try to view in a browser I get a blank screen (no error message or anything) and just as a test I even tried syncing with Google calendar, but that can't get the data either, and gives an error message.

Any other thoughts anyone?

C.
clivesidney

Post by clivesidney »

A quick update - Google calendar has just accepted the URL (before it would not even accept it as a valid calendar and would return an error) but it seems the data stream is blank, as there are no events at all (I know there are events on my LDS calendar, as I do most of the ward updating. . .)

I am only using Google calendar as a test to see if the problem was confined to Apple devices, but ultimately I want to have this all working on my Apple stuff.

C.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clivesidney wrote:A quick update - Google calendar has just accepted the URL (before it would not even accept it as a valid calendar and would return an error) but it seems the data stream is blank, as there are no events at all (I know there are events on my LDS calendar, as I do most of the ward updating. . .)
I don't have any ideas on your previous post (I'm not an Apple user), but this problem you mention here sounds exactly like the expected behavior if you (or any of your devices or applications) access the URL less than 9 minutes after the last access. There is a 9-minute throttle in place for all accesses to your sync URL.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:There is a 9-minute throttle in place for all accesses to your sync URL.
And resetting the URL doesn't reset the timer - so it's really any thing that syncs to your account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
patrickscullin

Post by patrickscullin »

I too was not getting the calendar to sync on my phone, ipad and computer. I readjusted the update setting on my desktop calendar to "once a day" and got the calendar to appear on my desktop ical but it made no difference on my phone or my ipad. All my calendars were synced through iCal as well.

I finally got it to work on my ipad and my iphone. This is what I had to do on my IOS devices:
1. In icloud settings, disconnect ical and delete data from phone.
2. Shut down phone. (Every other time I tried doing this without an IOS device restart it wouldn't work.)
3. Restart phone and reactivate icloud ical subscription. After a few minutes it should update.
clivesidney

Post by clivesidney »

Hi Patrick - what do you mean "disconnect iCal and delete data from phone"?

I had a look and I am not sure exactly what you mean, and I am worried I will delete my other entries…

Also, presumably iCal on the mac has to be synched first using iCloud?

Can you please do a step-by-step for this?

This system with LDS calendars and iCloud is soooo complicated!

C.
tleish

Post by tleish »

Same issue here with iCal for Google Calendar. Google calender fails to import iCal URL and generates "Settings Error: Could not fetch the url.".

Steps to Reproduce:
  • 1. "Generate New Sync URLs" from LDS.org calendar
    2. Add url to google calendar
    3. "Settings Error: Could not fetch the url."
If I attempt to add the same calendar url a 2nd time to google calendar, I do not get the error... but I don't get any events either. If I generate a new LDS.org calendar, google displays the same error as above.

wget of the url indicates that the iCal URL is not available.

Code: Select all

$ wget -qO- http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/subscribe/...
<html><body><center><h1><b>Not Available</b></h1><i>This page is unavailable.  Error code: 2-1919</i></center></body></html>
In contrast, if I use the same wget command with Apples US Holidays iCal URL I get:

$ wget -qO- http://files.apple.com/calendars/US32Holidays.ics
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:-//Apple Inc.//iPhoto//EN
X-WR-CALNAME:US Holidays
So, clearly something is wrong with the server.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tleish wrote:So, clearly something is wrong with the server.
Seems to be working OK for me. Keep in mind that there is a 9-minute throttle. You can only use your sync once every 9 minutes. Changing the URL doesn't reset the timer. If you have a number of devices, then it becomes that much more complex to make sure they don't bump into each other.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tleish

Post by tleish »

Perhaps testing with wget is the wrong approach, but it's still not working in Google Calendar.

I hadn't tried to sync since yesterday afternoon. Tried to add the URL again this morning on my google calendar, but still get "Settings Error: Could not fetch the url.".
Google_Calendar.png
Google_Calendar.png (11.94 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
After failing in google, I tried using wget again. It worked the first time (but failed the 2nd with the 9 minute delay).

$ wget -qO- http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/subscribe/...
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:-//Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints//LDS Calendar 2.0//EN
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VEVENT
So regardless of wget or the 9 minute delay , it's still producing an error in google calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried pasting it into another Google calendar and it seemed to work for me as it pulled in events. Do you have anything else using that URL? Otherwise this may be account dependent.

Return to “Calendar”