Unit Numbers

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Unit Numbers

Post by lajackson »

OHMYHECK wrote:Telling a member that if they are not a bishop or a ward clerk they do not need the unit number
was NOT HELPFUL, rather a bit imperious. And I still cannot find the number.
You are correct that if you wish to contribute to a missionary from another unit, you will need that unit number.

The easiest way to get that number is to speak with your ward clerk. The other way is to follow one of the suggestions in the posts in this thread. I count two ways of doing it, both using the Maps tool which is available to all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

OHMYHECK wrote:Telling a member that if they are not a bishop or a ward clerk they do not need the unit number
was NOT HELPFUL, rather a bit imperious.
The post you are referring to was made three and a half years ago. That was well before the current system where members need unit numbers for donating to missionaries in other wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

OHMYHECK wrote:And I still cannot find the number.
Welcome to the forum- Did you find it?
As others have said in this thread there are several ways now, but you can still contact your clerk. Look yourself on LDS.org following these steps.
Step one: Browse to the “Meetinghouse locator” menu option on LDS.org under the menu “My account and ward” (top right)
(Don’t use the LDS TOOLS mobile app "Meetinghouses" menu option for this, it will not show the unit number, only the unit name- If on a mobile device, just use the browser to go to LDS.org)
This link will take you there: https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses

Step two: Sign in with your LDS.org login (choose “my account and ward” option, then choose "sign-in" at top right of screen)
This is a necessary step to see the ward number!

Step three: Type in an address, or a ward name in the search box (near top left of screen- see screenshot below.) If you don’t know all the right information to type in, providing a city name or zip code might help you find the exact ward you need in that area.

When the correct ward or branch is selected by you, the unit number will be listed next to the ward name, and the stake number will be listed next to the stake name. That's it! (If you failed to sign-in with an lds account, only the name of the unit will be shown.)

This screenshot will help you....
find_unit_number.jpg
(220.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
AftonK

Post by AftonK »

sbradshaw wrote: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 pm You can also use the LDS.org maps tool to get unit numbers. Just search for the ward or stake name. If there are multiple results, click on the name of the correct ward or stake. Then, go to the URL and look for the number that follows "&find=ward:" or "&find=stake:". This is the unit number.

For me, the unit number also shows up next to the name of the ward or stake when I am logged in, but that feature might depend on your calling.
^^^ This is worked. Thank you!
AftonK

Post by AftonK »

aebrown wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:25 pm
sjellis9 wrote:Where do I go online to find unit numbers for Wards and Stakes outside my local boundaries?
If you're a clerk, or in a bishopric or stake presidency, then you can use CDOL. If not, you probably don't need unit numbers.

It's rare that you would need such unit numbers; about the only valid reason I can think of is when you create a payee or donor in MLS for "another unit". If it's a "donor" then you probably have a check in hand from that unit, and the check will have their unit number on it. If it's a payee, then you might need to look it up.
I know this post is old, but I would just like to point out that BYU and BYUI students need to be able to enter their ward/unit number into their student profile for ecclesiastical interview reasons. The computer system has to match the student up with their bishop for approval, etc. The bishop may do this initially, but I moved mid year and had to update my student profile on my own. So, there are several reasons why members need to be able to access their ward unit number. Not just for donation purposes.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”