Markup in newsletter?

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
shem.simmons

Markup in newsletter?

Post by shem.simmons »

I think it's pretty safe to assume that most techs here will be familiar with the markup that's used by sites like stackexchange:

*italic*
**bold**
- unordered list

Is there any kind of markup similar to wiki markup or bbcode that can be used with the newsletter to unlock more formatting options? I've experimented with a couple, but so far nothing works.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Markup in newsletter?

Post by aebrown »

shem.simmons wrote:I think it's pretty safe to assume that most techs here will be familiar with the markup that's used by sites like stackexchange:

*italic*
**bold**
- unordered list

Is there any kind of markup similar to wiki markup or bbcode that can be used with the newsletter to unlock more formatting options? I've experimented with a couple, but so far nothing works.
No, there's no such markup or markdown language available for Newsletter. I imagine that such constructs would be perceived as too "techy" for the targeted user. But that's just my guess.

Of course, the three possibilities you mentioned above are all available from the toolbar, but besides underline, ordered list, links, and images, that's about all that's available in the way of formatting.
shem.simmons

Post by shem.simmons »

the three possibilities you mentioned above are all available from the toolbar,
Yes, I was just using those three as examples. What the stake executive secretary specifically would like is tables. I was just hoping that there might be some easter egg markdown that the average user wouldn't be aware of, but the more techie people could take advantage of. I'm a proponent to limiting what less techie people can do (could you imagine if the Relief Society had access to rainbow text and Comic-Sans?), but as a front end developer I'm not used to having my hands tied...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

shem.simmons wrote:What the stake executive secretary specifically would like is tables. I was just hoping that there might be some easter egg markdown that the average user wouldn't be aware of, but the more techie people could take advantage of. I'm a proponent to limiting what less techie people can do (could you imagine if the Relief Society had access to rainbow text and Comic-Sans?), but as a front end developer I'm not used to having my hands tied...
Whenever we want more control over formatting, we use the appropriate application, generate a PDF, and attach it. Yes, the attachment requires another step for people to access, but it gives you ultimate control over formatting.

Return to “Newsletter”