Wall mounted flat TV Screen in Bishop's office.

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
johnshaw

Re: Wall mounted flat TV Screen in Bishop's office.

Post by johnshaw »

I think the meetinghouse design is on purpose. The design of our meetinghouses sends a message (in fact it sends many messages). There is no other reason to some of the decisions and the design space. If this truly is the case, as it seems, then I'd love to see those design thoughts. I think if we scour the handbook we'll find hidden gems around it, but who knows.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I just remembered this training video from about 5 years ago…
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... l?lang=eng
…and it struck me that I don't think I've ever seen a Bishop's office that could comfortably hold this many people, not to mention additional guests that might attend like someone from the High Council or the local full-time missionaries. So there has to be the expectation of using a different room.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... l?lang=eng …and it struck me that I don't think I've ever seen a Bishop's office that could comfortably hold this many people, not to mention additional guests that might attend like someone from the High Council or the local full-time missionaries.]
I counted 13 which included the bishopric, in the training video. In our Ward Council we have enough seats in the bishops office for 5 Bishopric members (bishop, 2 counselors, ward clerk, Exec. Sec.), H.P. Group Leader, Elders Quorum President, Ward Mission Leader, S. S. President, R.S. President, Y.W. President, Primary President, Y.M. President, High Councilman, and YSA (1 of the married couples come) which makes a total of 15. This is a full room and occasionally the missionaries will come or another invited guest then we are at 17. All seats are filled with no wall space. Usually a counselor in the Bishopric will put the cart in front of him, then hook his lap-top to the monitor. We are stuffed, but happy to work together an try to get the work done. As has been expressed in this thread, it is difficult to manage a stack of papers and an electronic device on ones lap and keep up with the fast moving necessary pace to get things done. My point being that a wall mounted TV would help keep this not quite so crunched. Big bonus would be a High Council type room that each member of the Ward Council could comfortably sit, take notes and follow the agenda. If you are lucky enough to have the early schedule :confused: the W. C. could be in a large multi purpose or R.S. room which would help, but is it a confidential environment? :)
hsbowen

Post by hsbowen »

This is what our FM Group presented to us when we submitted a similar Request:

Meetinghouse Standard Plan Committee
Meetinghouse Facilities Department

MSPC Decisions Affecting North America Operations
MSPC Meeting: 17 May 2012
Notification to Field: 25 June 2012

Item 3: Fixed Projection Screens, Built-in Projectors, Flat Screen Monitors, etc, in High Council Rooms, Relief Society Rooms, etc.

Under the direction of the Presiding Bishopric, the Meetinghouse Technology Working Group, representing numerous Church departments as well as the priesthood and curriculum departments, is considering the best solution to make it easy to access, display and hear digital content in meetinghouses, for use in teaching classes and conducting training. The desire of the Bishopric is to have consistent, standard solutions and equipment throughout the Church.

The installation of flat screen monitors, built-in projection cameras and fixed screens in high council, relief society and other rooms is out of boundary for Project and Facilities Managers. PMs and FMs should not include these items as part of new meetinghouse projects, or install them in existing buildings, until further notice.

Stake and ward leaders requesting these items from Facilities Managers should be advised that they are NOT allowed until direction is received from the Presiding Bishopric. They should be encouraged not to use donated or local unit budget funds to install these items on their own.

Meetinghouses are the property of the Presiding Bishop of the Church, and local leaders and Church employees should not make any changes to Presiding Bishopric approved standards without permission to do so.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

the Meeting House Tech Policy (https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... y?lang=eng) says the following:

"Physical modifications to a meetinghouse, including the mounting of televisions, cameras, digital projectors, and projector screens, may only be done in compliance with MFD standard plans." (MFD = Meetinghouse Facilities Department).

The letter hsbowen posted is from 2012 and the Meetinghouse Tech Policy is from 2014. Anyone know if mounting of TVs is approved now or still not ok?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelcox wrote:The letter hsbowen posted is from 2012 and the Meetinghouse Tech Policy is from 2014. Anyone know if mounting of TVs is approved now or still not ok?
I think you'd have to get that answer from your local FM group. They have access to those standards, and it appears they hold the keys to interpreting those standards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

russellhltn wrote:I think you'd have to get that answer from your local FM group. They have access to those standards, and it appears they hold the keys to interpreting those standards.
I submitted a request via FIR earlier today just curious what others have seen.
ericawaite

Post by ericawaite »

Has there been any additional experience with this since the last response? There is no room in my office for the 2'x3' black AV cart that rips the skin from every hand, usually sitting idle in the meetinghouse library. Has anyone attempted to maneuver these through halls and doorways? Its like a bad shopping cart.

As a Bishop, I purchased a screen and mount 5 months ago ( great black Friday deal) with personal funds and use it 3-4 times a week for Ward Council, PEC, Bishopric and Priests quorum meeting. I even used it impromptu it during an interview to share a message on hope from one of the First Presidency. I have donated this to the ward and its use. The next Bishop may use or disposes of how he sees fit.

Admittedly I had it sitting on my credenza for about 3 weeks but it was difficult for everyone to view so my clerk and I found a location on the wall and mounted it there. It is a clean install with no dangling, unsightly wires for members of the Deacon's quorum to pull or break.

With no discussion, note or friendly hallway chat from the FM group, I found out this week from my Stake President, that this appropriate use of technology is not permitted by the FM group and I've been asked to take it down. I will certainly do so this coming week as my love for the gospel, my faithful priesthood leader and commitment to the Savior are stronger than screws holding the this screen to the wall. This is not going to be my mote and I will place the TV back on the credenza on some sort of stand other than a fashionable milk crate.

I would hope that by sharing this, first as an encouragement to all others thinking about this. Do it, just don't place it on the wall for now - use the technology we have access to as we teach, minister and spread the gospel. Secondly, I would hope that in the future plans and discussions on meetinghouse tech, we find ways to work and talk together to solve a concern. IMO - FM should not have the final say in productivity or useful tech application in a ward.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

FM had turned us down so we have it on the credenza in his office. Not the best option but the one we are doing. We use it nearly every Sunday and during midweek meetings.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

ericawaite wrote:I purchased a screen and mount 5 months ago ( great black Friday deal) with personal funds and use it 3-4 times a week for Ward Council, PEC, Bishopric and Priests quorum meeting. I even used it impromptu it during an interview to share a message on hope from one of the First Presidency. I have donated this to the ward and its use.
Interesting. I did not know that the guidelines for technology in meetinghouses allowed us to donate monitors or televisions to the ward. I know that the guidelines state that no privately-owned equipment may remain in the meetinghouse overnight. They also state that computer donations are not to be accepted.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”