wrigjef

Status of indexing app for the ipad

Post by wrigjef »

Does anyone know how close it is?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Status of indexing app for the ipad

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Does anyone know how close it is?
There will be no indexing app for the iPad.

However, a browser-based indexing application is under development that is being designed to work on tablets, so it should work on an iPad. The last word on its status was in a 4 December 2014 FamilySearch blog post, which talks about a beta cycle that happened in August and then said "As we reviewed the feedback and prioritized the suggestions we received, it became clear that further improvements were needed. Based on this information, we have decided to delay the release of the new program to ensure it provides the best experience possible for you, our wonderful volunteers."

That rather indefinite announcement sounds to me like a delay of several months. I'm sure announcements will be made as the release date gets closer, but at this point there is no release date, and so we just need to wait patiently.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There is a public beta available for anyone who signs up, but it uses test data so no actual indexing work can be completed. However, you can try it out and see how it works:
https://beta.familysearch.org/indexing/my-indexing
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
alexandergblack

Post by alexandergblack »

How do we log into that beta.familysearch.org? I can't seem to.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alexandergblack wrote:How do we log into that beta.familysearch.org? I can't seem to.
You should be able to use the same user name and password (typically your LDS Account) that you use to log in to the regular FamilySearch site (familysearch.org). When you say "I can't seem to" what do you mean? What messages do you see when you try to sign in?
alexandergblack

Post by alexandergblack »

aebrown wrote:You should be able to use the same user name and password (typically your LDS Account) that you use to log in to the regular FamilySearch site (familysearch.org). When you say "I can't seem to" what do you mean? What messages do you see when you try to sign in?
It says the username or password was incorrect.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You may have to first sign in to FamilySearch.org. Then go to this page:
https://familysearch.org/campaign/indexing-transition
and opt in to the beta. Report back if it works!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As for a release date, on May 25, I got a reply from a FamilySearch employee that says that the online indexing system isn't on the back burner – it was postponed because beta feedback said it wasn't ready yet, and they're still actively working on it – but he can't give a target date yet. I suppose this is another example of why the Church doesn't give firm release dates far in advance very often.
rwells7722

Post by rwells7722 »

I just checked today (Aug 1, 2016) and was told that there is no app for iPad and that they are working on an internet solution that will be accessible from iPads or iPhones.
Meanwhile, if I try to do it online using an iPad it tells me that it looks like I am using a phone and should go to the website on a computer and download the indexing software.
So this is just to update the fact that there is not yet a mobile device solution.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rwells7722 wrote:I just checked today (Aug 1, 2016) and was told that there is no app for iPad and that they are working on an internet solution that will be accessible from iPads...
Right. That's what I reported over a year ago in my first response on this topic, and it's still true.
rwells7722 wrote:... or iPhones.
There is no plan for the browser-based solution to work on an iPhone or any other device that small.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”