High priest and Elder assignments

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rhwolf
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#31

Post by rhwolf »

Brethren,

Having now gone through the list of Prospective Elders with the Bishop, we wish to transfer several from HPG to EQ. We also have some that will move from EQ to HPG. We have actually gone into the system and moved them. Did that last weekend. In looking at Home Teaching assignments, the PE that were moved to the EQ still show up as individuals that are to be home taught by the HPG. I have checked through the system several times. Also checked MLS today. Everything says the PE are assigned to the EQ. Yet, they still show on the list of unassigned home teaching families for the HPG. I sat with the EQ president and reviewed the HPG and EQ list of unassigned families. They are different lists. So what am I missing? What do I need to do to in addition to assigning someone to the EQ or HPG to get that organization to also be responsible for their home teaching?
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15138
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#32

Post by aebrown »

rhwolf wrote:What do I need to do to in addition to assigning someone to the EQ or HPG to get that organization to also be responsible for their home teaching?
Assign them a home teacher from the organization. You can assign any household to any companionship, and once a household is assigned to be home taught by a companionship assigned to EQ or HPG, they will show up in that organization's list.

Hopefully the list of unassigned households is always trending to 0, so it doesn't seem like it should be a big issue where unassigned households show up in that very temporary holding place until an assignment is made.
rhwolf
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#33

Post by rhwolf »

Yes, I just looked at the companionship list. By asking for all unassigned, the prospective elder does show up, and should be assignable by the EQ to an EQ companionship. That is great. Just spoke to the EQ and he will do that. However, that does not solve the fundamental issue. When an individual is assigned to either the HPG or the EQ, then if that individual is unassigned, they should show up on the unassigned list for the class to which they are assigned. Instead, they show up on another list. The way the unassigned are reported does not reflect their class assignment.
rhwolf
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#34

Post by rhwolf »

Sorry, just realized that was not quite clear. We assigned a Prospective Elder to the EQ. However, he has not yet been assigned home teachers, and so shows up on the unassigned list for home teaching. Unfortunately, he still shows up on the HPG list of members unassigned home teachers. Why is that? He should now show up on the Elder's quorum list, since he is assigned to the Elder's Quorum based on the judgement of the Bishop, High Priest Group Leader and Elder's Quorum President. From a management point of view, once that determination is made, the system should reflect the intent of the Priesthood Leadership. We have 20 individuals we just moved between HPG and EQ. Now the membership are correct. But the reporting is still a mess because the system does not appear to recognize the impact of those moves on the unassigned home teaching lists.
1historian
New Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#35

Post by 1historian »

mstauff wrote:For right now it is. The overview and households tabs are not currently based on class assignments. They will generally show Elders in the EQ, and all others in the HP. The one exception to this is if you assign a family (within home teaching) to be taught by a specific quorum they will then show up on the overview tab and households for that quorum. So if you have a prospective elder that is unassigned he will show up on the HP lists. If you assign him to be taught by a companionship in the EQ he then should show up under the EQ households. He would also show up on the EQ Overview tab if he weren't visited. He wouldn't ever show up on the EQ unassigned HT section, however. If he were removed from the EQ companionship he would revert to HP.
While this may not be the answer you wanted to hear this seems to be the current position answer that we have been given. So class assignment and HT assignment do not correlate.
rhwolf
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#36

Post by rhwolf »

First, thank-you for the answer and a better understanding of the design logic. You are correct, I disagree with the design logic. It does not make sense that when someone has been assigned to a group or quorum by Priesthood Leadership, that assignment is not reflected in the software in a consistent manner. We can make it work for now. Rethinking that design decision would be greatly appreciated, given all the comments made so far in this forum on the topic. Thanks again for the quick answer and help. At least now we can move forward and actually take care of our members, and have the decisions show up in the membership role. Trying to get us back to a house of order!
mevans
Senior Member
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#37

Post by mevans »

The software makes a lot of sense. An individual is assigned to a quorum. A household is assigned for home teaching. Even if it's one person, it's a household.

Unfortunately, the only way you can change the household assignment is by assigning a home teacher. What LCR really needs is an extra field on the Household tab of the member record where you can choose "Household Home Taught By" and then you can choose High Priests or Elders (or more then one Elders Quorum if the ward has more than one). This would fix a growing problem. I've explained how this works a couple of time to people and they're confused. Adding a field would eliminate the confusion.

I think I'm going to go submit that feedback while I'm writing this. All I see is confusion coming from how this works. Other aspects of the new features seem fairly intuitive.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#38

Post by scgallafent »

rhwolf wrote:Rethinking that design decision would be greatly appreciated, given all the comments made so far in this forum on the topic.
We are aware of this issue. This was also an issue with MLS. The instructions for developers were to migrate the MLS functionality to LCR and not add any additional significant features. This is an item that has already been identified for future review.
myronl
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#39

Post by myronl »

The default assignment to EQ or HP for home teaching is creating a problem.

Our EQ has 22 home teaching companionships, or appx. 71% of total companionships.
Our HP has 9 home teaching companionships, or appx. 29% of total companionships.
Because of the default assignments, 109 households are assigned to the EQ for home teaching,
Because of the default assignments, 155 households are assigned to the HP for home teaching. The assignments are out of balance because of the default.
The result is that 16 households asssigned to the EQ for home teaching have not been assigned home teachers, while
The result is that 111 households assigned to the HP for home teaching have not been assigned home teachers.
There are at leas three negative results:
1. Our HP companionships (29% of total) cannot ever assign all 111 households to our 9 companionships, in addition to those we already teach (47).
2. The EQ doesn't "see" these 111 unassigned households, they see only the 16 unassigned households assigned to the EQ for home teaching.
3. Reporting will forever be poor for the HP group, as we will always have many more families unassigned, due to our few numbers of HP.

Please add a functionality to allow changing households to be assigned to either quorum for home teaching. NOTE: While the functionality exists to assign home teachers to any household, the default assignment of families to the two quorums and NOT allowing the assignment to be altered creates the problems noted above.
Thanks
myronl
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: High priest and Elder assignments

#40

Post by myronl »

scgallafent wrote:
rhwolf wrote:Rethinking that design decision would be greatly appreciated, given all the comments made so far in this forum on the topic.
We are aware of this issue. This was also an issue with MLS. The instructions for developers were to migrate the MLS functionality to LCR and not add any additional significant features. This is an item that has already been identified for future review.
.....hopefully the future is now 8-)
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken quote tags.
Post Reply

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”