Seminary attendance recording

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bradley.nelson

Seminary attendance recording

Post by bradley.nelson »

The call of teach Seminary comes with a large sacrifice from both the teacher and their family. One way technology can help reduce that tax is to make attendance recording easier. Building an app / program to log attendance in the morning is quite easy, however the benefit of doing so is somewhat limited unless there is a way to transfer this data directly otherwise electronic attendance recording is not much better than paper records. Is there a way to submit attendance results from a program today? or could one be added?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Seminary attendance recording

Post by aebrown »

Throughout this last seminary year, I received prompt emails when my son was late to Seminary or missed a class. Those emails seemed to be sent by an automated system. I live in Utah, so that system might not be available throughout the country or the world, but it seems clear that some electronic system for recording seminary attendance does exist.
bradley.nelson

Post by bradley.nelson »

I'm in Texas (no release time seminary or full time seminary teachers) I'm aware of a browser based system teachers can input attendance, but having entered the data through that interface it's not something you would access via something like a tablet or a class secretary would be accessing, nor is it a realistic format teachers can use without disruption of instruction time. So how long does it take to enter one day's attendance .. I would guess 10-15 minutes. Keep in mind that's 10-15 minutes on top of the 2-3 hours we are already asking from the teachers on a daily basis. Any small ways we can use technology to help keep the focus on ministering and not administering is a win in my book.

Currently students and parents don't have any sort of feedback with regards to attendance records. They would need to get that from the teacher or a member of the Bishopric (of course that only works if the data has actually been manually entered).
JordanDeanAbrams

Post by JordanDeanAbrams »

The church released an attendance app just like what you are requesting within the last year. It can be accessed by going to teacher.ldschurch.org and then saving this site as an app on your device. It links in with WISE so you don't have to go on and manually input them again. It has been a lifesaver for me.
iacedu

Post by iacedu »

I have tried to access the teacher.ldschurch.org site to download for help with attendance recording. However, the suggested approach doesn't work because I always receive and "exception" from the site. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any workarounds? Such an "app" would greatly help with attendance recording. Many thanks!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Maybe the tool is only available in certain areas currently? I'm not sure.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
geoffsmiller

Post by geoffsmiller »

What do the acronymns in WISE attendance stand for? I get AB (absent) and P (present), T (tardy) but what do MAB and MT stand for?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

geoffsmiller wrote:What do the acronymns in WISE attendance stand for?
It stands for Worldwide Institute and Seminary Enrollment. I found a training video from 2015 you might find helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itj1uMdmJjA
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the video, MAB apparently stands for "made up absence" - that is the student was absent that day, but did make-up work so as not to fall below the minimums for graduation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:In the video, MAB apparently stands for "made up absence" - that is the student was absent that day, but did make-up work so as not to fall below the minimums for graduation.
From that I would infer that MT is made up tardy, but that's just a guess

Return to “General Discussions”