Question about Wireless

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

avskip wrote:I was reading another thread (http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2250) on here that mentioned networking by power lines already in place. I believe they were Cisco/Linksys units someone had linked to.

How are these for security? Has anyone worked with one before? Is there a good place to learn of this technology?
Here's a thread where I went into some pros and cons about power-line Ethernet (HomePlug)...

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=13591
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Here's a thread where I went into some pros and cons about power-line Ethernet (HomePlug)...

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?p=13591

I've just added to that thread, so it may be worth checking again. In my case, it's starting to look like an attractive option.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

Well, I saw his machine attempt to connect. It never did ask for a password and seemed like it was going to connect, then aborted with password failure. After several attempts it never made it in. Perhaps the original connection was a fluke as he said he's not been able to connect since then.

I also went around the building with my PDA using WiFiFoFum and only found networks showing that were at surrounding homes.

Time will tell.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:I also went around the building with my PDA using WiFiFoFum and only found networks showing that were at surrounding homes.
Perhaps he was mistaken as to which network he was connected to?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:Perhaps he was mistaken as to which network he was connected to?
I'm unsure. For the time being, I'm not going to go ballistic over this. If it rears it's head again, I'll have GSD change the passphrase.

I'm also looking at the BPL/Homeplug equipment. Just not sure if I want to go to the HF bands for this yet. I should probably talk with the FM group and see how the wiring is run through this building before I get too excited about the BPL hardware.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”