Sacrament Program Integration

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
ericpastuer

Re: Sacrament Program Integration

Post by ericpastuer »

While I can understand other people's views as to why this is lower on the list. I think it could serve many purposes that make it worth considering more urgently.

For example, programs often contain ward events. Getting members to populate ward events into their calendar has had slow adoption. If we were to create such a tool it could create incentive for the inclusion of ward events into the lds calendar app by integrating events into the designer. The person designing the program could pick and choose existing calendar items for inclusion into the calendar. You then kill two birds with one stone - easier data entry for creating the program with consistent text and calendar items in the church calendar system.

Furthermore, I feel that we can enable outside resources via hyperlinks to include additional resources would make it very useful. For example, we could include links to the first presidency message or to the latest social media campaign.

I feel like this idea is a win-win since we don't lose the ability to provide a paper program, but we gain the ability for people to use their smartphones to conserve paper, get additional content, ensure they get a program every Sunday (even those that arrive late) and we encourage our members to more fully use the tools we've provided for them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ericpastuer wrote:While I can understand other people's views as to why this is lower on the list. I think it could serve many purposes that make it worth considering more urgently.
The LDSTech Forum is primarily user-to-user support. We can discuss the issue in the forum. And that is a good place to work out the details before submitting such an idea through proper channels. But little else will become of it through the forum since those who make the decisions you are advocating do not visit the forums. There are two official sources for feedback. One is through the feedback link found on many LDS.org pages. The feedback provided through this link will be routed to the proper organization or individuals for consideration or action.

The other is to pass your feedback up the priesthood chain. You talk to your bishop, who then talks to your stake president, who then talks to the area seventy and so on up the line.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I've been thinking some about why we have programs (the actual program part) in the first place and it occurred to me that outside the Church, a program that's distributed gives the impression that this is a formal, professional, anticipated, prepared for, important event. For example, programs are often printed for graduation ceremonies; or distributed electronically for conferences. I know some wards don't create programs at all – it's not stipulated in the Handbook. Given the recent emphasis on the Sabbath day, it's a good reminder that Sacrament meeting really is our most important meeting, so, if we do the program right, it can convey that same feeling of "this meeting is special and important." I think it could be done right digitally or printed; it could also be done right just posting one copy of the program next to the door that people can look at on their way in. Just some thoughts tangentially related to the topic at hand.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lmcguire wrote:
lmcguire wrote:...the whole thing could be done as a newsletter entry, and I'm betting the program could be a calendar event...
Yep, just confirmed with my brother (who has the rights) - both would work, with varying degrees of "pretty". Now I just have to con my Ward Clerk into giving our newsletter / program person rights, then con her into a bit of copy and paste.... ;)
We tried this in my stake and the feedback was too many clicks to get there, the requirement to login with username/password to get to the newsletter was a factor for many. Most wards switched to dropbox/google to distribute. Just FYI...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Integrating the Newsletter into LDS Tools would go a long way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

sbradshaw wrote:Given the recent emphasis on the Sabbath day, it's a good reminder that Sacrament meeting really is our most important meeting, so, if we do the program right, it can convey that same feeling of "this meeting is special and important." I think it could be done right digitally or printed; it could also be done right just posting one copy of the program next to the door that people can look at on their way in. Just some thoughts tangentially related to the topic at hand..
I think this is worth taking some time and pondering again. Our Worship Services do seem a little informal much of the time. I like the idea of the Program being used as a means of communicating the importance of the meeting. It can, like our Sacrament Services, feel rushed and not put together well. I agree that putting some emphasis on the program, I love the idea of a larger version posted at the door! (right next to the QR code so you can scan and get the program to your mobile device).
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

sbradshaw wrote:..., it's a good reminder that Sacrament meeting really is our most important meeting,...
That, my friend, is the best argument I've ever seen for a Sacrament program.

Liz
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

The following article on LDS.org "Use of Online Resources in Church Callings" indicates that we should never replace the printed program or bulletin board with an electronic copy.
https://www.lds.org/pages/online-resour ... s?lang=eng
Additional Best Practices
• A website, blog, or social media page should never be used as a replacement for the printed sacrament meeting program or bulletin board

Though I have had the idea of entering in LCR the callings that were sustained in meetings, immediately as they occurred, I have abstained. I think to use electronics during sac. can be distracting to the users and to others sitting around you. Texting during this meeting is a distraction.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I interpret that quote to mean that we should still provide the traditional, non-digital means of communication for those who prefer to use those – so, not that we shouldn't use digital programs, but rather, than we shouldn't get rid of printed ones completely. Interestingly, I've read that page before but this is the first time I've noticed any policy that presupposes that wards do and should have a sacrament meeting program. I've heard some say that their wards don't have sacrament meeting programs. The handbook only briefly mentions that if there are a lot of announcements to be given at church, they should be printed.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Hmm, thank you, I just assumed or interpreted it to say print the program and do not put it on social media.

Return to “Member Tools”