Single SignOn

Discussions around Mobile Development
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Single SignOn

Post by aebrown »

clintsinger wrote:Anybody know if there has been any movement on this? It seems since around August of 2015 the whole project (lds.io) and the conversation about using SSO came to a stand-still.

I am working on a project to manage events for our youth (YW/YM camps, Priest/Laurel Conferences, etc) and it would be awesome to have access to the LDS account to determine if the person signed in is the Bishop, YM/YW leader, Parent or Child and give them appropriate permissions.
There was on update to that LDS.io Google Group on 28 October 2015 that wasn't quite as encouraging, and it seems to be the last post.

Personally, I was always rather skeptical that ICS would actually open this to apps not actually sponsored by the Church.
clintsinger

Post by clintsinger »

I am not sure where to find the official statement (though I think I recall seeing something about it some time ago) on the use of Membership data for third party software used by Wards and Stakes, but I assume it is safe to say that it is prohibited. Especially based on what I am reading about the lds.io project.

I wonder if there is some mechanism to submit the proposal to the ICS group and get a special approval. It isn't unreasonable to think that Wards and Stakes have needs in managing their needs and information in ways that are not provided by the church's own services.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clintsinger wrote:I am not sure where to find the official statement (though I think I recall seeing something about it some time ago) on the use of Membership data for third party software used by Wards and Stakes, but I assume it is safe to say that it is prohibited.
Your probably thinking about the Meetinghouse Technology Policy

"4.9.3 The use of MLS data and membership information in third party software is prohibited, whether obtained from within or outside of a meetinghouse."

clintsinger wrote:I wonder if there is some mechanism to submit the proposal to the ICS group and get a special approval.
It's not ICS that you have to convince. It's the Priesthood department along with the Legal department. As it stands, various export and download options have been removed. For some, the stated reason was to preserve privacy. So it seems highly unlikely that such a thing will come to pass.

Instead, I'd suggest you submit feedback on what kind of reports you need. No promises, but given time and when it comes up in the priority, it's more likely to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Mobile Development”