Single SignOn

Discussions around Mobile Development
kenanderson

Single SignOn

Post by kenanderson »

So, I followed the instructions on how to use the LDS SSO. Unfortunately, after POSTing my request w/ "username" & "password" in the body, the response comes back with 200 and ObSSOCookie=loggedoutcontinue

My guess is that if I try to pass that cookie to any other *.lds.org site for authorization it will fail. Has the SSO process changed?

FYI, I don't develop in Java or C# so libraries aren't going to help.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Single SignOn

Post by russellhltn »

I believe logins are only for church authorized apps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kenanderson

Post by kenanderson »

Is there a reason for that? Done right, setting up an OAuth2 IdP is not a security threat. It's also pretty easy to build and maintain. I'm just curious. I'm building apps all the time that would just be easier integrate with a central church IdP. All I really need is a unique ID that is consistently associated with a set of credentials.

If possible, I'd even be happy to help set something up if it is a matter of people being busy with other more urgent matters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The church appears to have zero interest in supporting third party apps or sites other than for family history.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kenanderson

Post by kenanderson »

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I wouldn't say zero interest as there is some recent movement. If you google lds io you can see what is being done with the community. It's not here yet, but sounds like there may be a path to get there at some point in the future.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
kenanderson

Post by kenanderson »

Ooh...exactly what I've been looking for...I may join the Github group and contribute!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

johnshaw wrote:I wouldn't say zero interest as there is some recent movement. If you google lds io you can see what is being done with the community.
I don't see anything to indicate this is sanctioned by the church. What's your basis for thinking this represents a change in the church's position on 3rd party apps that access membership data?
kenanderson

Post by kenanderson »

eblood66 wrote:I don't see anything to indicate this is sanctioned by the church. What's your basis for thinking this represents a change in the church's position on 3rd party apps that access membership data?
If you check out the discussion on LDS.io (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... WfTwicoPlA) you'll see that there is some movement there. I've noticed that with church-sponsored software dev there always has to be a responsible party and approval from the managers. I'm guessing that AJ (the guy who seems to be pushing this effort from outside of church IT) is working with the managers to ensure sound direction and successful implementation and it looks like there may be some buy-in. Now we just sit and wait for status updates.

Thanks johnshaw for the info!
clintsinger

Post by clintsinger »

Anybody know if there has been any movement on this? It seems since around August of 2015 the whole project (lds.io) and the conversation about using SSO came to a stand-still.

I am working on a project to manage events for our youth (YW/YM camps, Priest/Laurel Conferences, etc) and it would be awesome to have access to the LDS account to determine if the person signed in is the Bishop, YM/YW leader, Parent or Child and give them appropriate permissions.

Cheers,
Clint

Return to “Mobile Development”