New Gospel Library for Windows Phone Released to Store

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for all versions of Windows Phone.
ByerJE

New Gospel Library for Windows Phone Released to Store

Post by ByerJE »

It is official. The new version of Gospel Library for the Windows Phone is now available in the Windows Store. If you have your phone configured to auto-update then the next time you open Gospel Library for Windows Phone you will experience a brand new world. Here are some new features over the existing LDS Gospel Library for Windows Phone application:

- Better/easier navigation to content
- Rich content is visible including images, video, proper formatting, page numbers, etc.
- Copy & Paste for sharing
- Multiple languages (content in over 100 languages)
- Add, modify, or delete bookmarks, highlights, notes, etc. using the new Radial Menu
- Collections
- Pin Bookmarks, verses, etc. to your Phone Start Screen
- History keeps track of where you've been - easily switch between locations anywhere in the library (similar to the Tabs feature in other platforms)
- Improved Search (just type, or type and hit ENTER)
- Improved Inspirational Messages and images
- Improved audio experience with "Read Along" feature
- Look in Settings (gear icon) to sign in to LDSAccount and customize your reading experience (themes, fonts, text size, etc.)

Please provide feedback by clicking on the email link in the Settings options (under "About"). We really want to hear what you think about it.
Gospel Library for Windows volunteer and service missionary team
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: New Gospel Library for Windows Phone Released to Store

Post by sbradshaw »

This is great news! Thanks. If it runs smoothly, I will be using this for scripture study on my Mac (via Parallels).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
justindevey

Post by justindevey »

:|
Yay for updates, but I wish I had the old LDS Gospel Library app for Windows phone back. The new one takes halfway through the congregational hymn just to open the app, and it won't let me save any bookmarks anymore, even when I'm signed onto my LDS account. I'm feeling frustrated.
:oops:
justindevey

Post by justindevey »

Okay, maybe it just takes a few minutes for the bookmark feature to sync after signing in within the app. I tried bookmarking something again and it worked!
:D
phillipdhall

Post by phillipdhall »

Thank you to the team doing such amazing work on the Windows apps!!

I see the Beta app is still available in the store. Will Beta continue to be updated, or should we be sticking with the main production version going forward?

Also, I updated to Windows 10 Tech Preview and had been led to believe the Windows 10 platform was designed to share apps between desktop and mobile. Are they indeed the same app now, or does the team still have to update them independently?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Beta will be continually updated as we work on new features, bug fixes, and more.

The so-called "universal apps" that are shared between desktop, tablet, and mobile are only sort of shared. Very lazy or very simple apps can use this tech without much effort, but any complex apps, like Gospel Library, can at best use the tech to allow its variants to share some or large chunks of backend code. This technology has actually been part of Windows since Windows 8.1, though Windows 10 is supposed to make universal apps easier, making the APIs between these platforms more consistent. At present, the app, while available on both phones and tablets, is only technically a universal app as, when we "converted" the app from its tablet version, we had about seven months of work to get it working on phones. Further, because of the feature density, even when we do our major Windows 10 update, we'll have to depart pretty substantially in the interface, just to make the app usable on phones.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
ThomasLDS01

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

I just got my Lumia 640 today and I really appreciate all the work you guys are doing in your own time to make these apps available to us.

Is there a way to download all content from the library similar to the droid version?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I've sent an email to you concerning this topic. The short answer is: no, not yet.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
chelnamwen

Post by chelnamwen »

Is it possible to change the gospel library app back to the older version on my windows phone? I added a photo of the older version I'm talking about. It takes so long to load things and gives me so many problems that I don't like to use the app anymore. With the older version I could quickly and easily change the language as I pleased and it didn't take so long to load. The current version also kicks me out of the app quite often.
Attachments
Top 25 Reference Apps for Windows _ Top Apps.jpg
Top 25 Reference Apps for Windows _ Top Apps.jpg (103.22 KiB) Viewed 10455 times
cyndylaw

Post by cyndylaw »

This new update loads so slowly! Also,I lose my tabs about every other day. They just disappear. It's very frustrating!

Return to “Windows Phone Gospel Library”