Book of Mormon database

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
esumm1

Book of Mormon database

Post by esumm1 »

I am looking for a resource that contains the Book of Mormon in a more data friendly format. Something that contains tables of Book/Chapter/Verse and also has references between versus included. I am working on a visualization of the references between scriptural topics/people/places and versus. Is the raw data that makes up the online version of the Book of Mormon available anywhere? Please email me if you have any ideas.

Thanks!
Eric
eric.summers@vizyourdata.com
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Book of Mormon database

Post by sbradshaw »

The Church has an API for gospel content available to third-party developers:
http://ldsmediatalk.com/2011/07/27/thir ... materials/
There is an application process and I'm not sure of all the details. I don't know if the Church's API includes cross references.

The current edition of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price aren't in the public domain, and neither are the cross references or study helps. Any APIs not produced by the Church (I believe there are one or two out there) would be based off an older edition of the scriptures and would not contain study helps or cross references. Here is one such project: http://mdp.nephi.org
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:The Church has an API for gospel content available to third-party developers:
http://ldsmediatalk.com/2011/07/27/thir ... materials/
There is an application process and I'm not sure of all the details. I don't know if the Church's API includes cross references.
That article is from 2011 and is now obsolete. There was once a wiki page related to this same API, but it was deleted (see here for the deletion info). The deletion note says "Removing this page since we do not really provide an api, Tyler D. & Ransom should be providing this soon." That gives some hope, but of course there's no specific timeline. In any case, do not rely on that information from 2011.
esumm1

Post by esumm1 »

Thank you both for the info!
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

It may not be kosher, but the Gospel Library (for Android, at least) is just in a SQLite database - you could hack the information out of that... (I've opened and played around in that database before - the most recent hack I did was adding page numbers to a manual - which worked while the manual was in the library (it's since been removed).)

FWIW,

Liz

Return to “General Discussions”