"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
caillines

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by caillines »

Hilohi wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:53 pm Anyway, I just noticed that those email addresses have been deleted from those members' profiles/records. The issue here is that barring the "donotcontact" wording, those email addresses were valid and now they're gone and they're going to be hard if not impossible to get back. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if this is related to the Church IT folks trying to fix this Send a Message issue.
Have the emails themselves been altered, or are you just no longer getting the list of rejected emails? They stopped giving us the failed to deliver list a while ago. If it's the actual email in the ward directory, chances are a ward leader changed it.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

caillines wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:08 pm
Hilohi wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:53 pm Anyway, I just noticed that those email addresses have been deleted from those members' profiles/records. The issue here is that barring the "donotcontact" wording, those email addresses were valid and now they're gone and they're going to be hard if not impossible to get back. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if this is related to the Church IT folks trying to fix this Send a Message issue.
Have the emails themselves been altered, or are you just no longer getting the list of rejected emails? They stopped giving us the failed to deliver list a while ago. If it's the actual email in the ward directory, chances are a ward leader changed it.
The email addresses haven't been altered, per se, but they have been completely deleted from the members' profile. The last failed to deliver list that I got was on 8/27/22 so I would say that's relatively recently. I checked with all members of the bishopric and none of them changed/deleted any of those email addresses and I doubt any of the other ward leaders would change/delete member records without notifying the bishopric first.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Check with your ward clerks also.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One of the ways that senders to Yahoo/AOL can get labeled a spammer is if they keep sending emails to non-existent addresses.

It's speculation on my part, but it's possible CHQ is deleting all "no not contact" emails to improve the church's standing with the email provider.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:08 pm One of the ways that senders to Yahoo/AOL can get labeled a spammer is if they keep sending emails to non-existent addresses.

It's speculation on my part, but it's possible CHQ is deleting all "no not contact" emails to improve the church's standing with the email provider.
Quite possible. We had a member who had requested no contact and the clerk had modified his email so it would fail to deliver when someone sent emails using the Send A Message tool. I just checked and the email is now blank. I don't think our clerk deleted it.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Failed delivery is one of those things that gives you bad marks with email providers.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

jdlessley wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:13 am Check with your ward clerks also.
I did and they said they didn't delete those email addresses.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:08 pm One of the ways that senders to Yahoo/AOL can get labeled a spammer is if they keep sending emails to non-existent addresses.

In our case, we had put "donotcontact" as part of the domain name so, theoretically, the emails weren't actually being sent to Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, et al.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Hilohi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:31 pm In our case, we had put "donotcontact" as part of the domain name so, theoretically, the emails weren't actually being sent to Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, et al.
From the sounds of it, when the Church's email provider would try to send a message to that address, DNS lookup would fail. Just a guess on my part, but I would tend to guess that Church headquarters went through and purged email addresses that were provably invalid (invalid domain name) in an effort to try to help solve the problem that is the primary topic of this thread.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:44 pm From the sounds of it, when the Church's email provider would try to send a message to that address, DNS lookup would fail. Just a guess on my part, but I would tend to guess that Church headquarters went through and purged email addresses that were provably invalid (invalid domain name) in an effort to try to help solve the problem that is the primary topic of this thread.
Maybe. An invalid domain (someone@DoNotContactaol.com) would cause a DNS fail, but I don't know as it would cause problems. If it did, it would strictly be with the church servers. Not with any of the email providers.

But a valid domain with a fake name (DoNoContactsomeone@aol.com) would hit that provider. That could stir up trouble between the church and that provder.

As such, I don't see the church being "motivated" to find bad address domains, but they might be purging all bad addresses regardless of the error.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”