"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
fredbloem

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by fredbloem »

A few times I received error messages like the following:

"Sender: System Administrator

Subject: Undeliverable: Derwood Ward Bulletin and Newsletter

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Derwood Ward Bulletin and Newsletter
Sent: 8/21/2022 9:53 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

sxxxxjf@gmail.com on
The recipient has been deleted or has no email address.

Txxxs@gmail.com on

wxxxxs@gmail.com on

txxxxt@gmail.com on

sxxxxo@yahoo.com on

txxxxxxn@gmail.com on

txxxxxq@gmail.com on

sxxxxxxc@gmail.com on

txxxxxxd@gmail.com on

txxxxxx4@aol.com on

txxxxxx2@comcast.net on

wxxxxxx2@aol.com on
The recipient has been deleted or has no email address."

Interestingly, there were no Yahoo email addresses here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to work with someone and clean up those email addresses. It highly possible that one of the issues with Yahoo/AOL is continuing to send emails to people who are no longer in the system. At some point they quit trying to work with you and just send all emails to the bit bucket.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:24 pm You may want to work with someone and clean up those email addresses. It highly possible that one of the issues with Yahoo/AOL is continuing to send emails to people who are no longer in the system. At some point they quit trying to work with you and just send all emails to the bit bucket.
Most, if not all, of these email addresses are valid. I anonymized them with the x's.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fredbloem wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:35 pm Most, if not all, of these email addresses are valid. I anonymized them with the x's.
I understand about the anonymizing. But the server is responding in a way that suggests those accounts/email addresses no longer exist.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

fredbloem wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:52 pm A few times I received error messages like the following:
These are legitimate error messages. They inform you as the sender that the recipients’ email address are simply wrong. The email addresses are no longer existing. At least in this case the system is behaving absolutely normally.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

sebastian.buck wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:18 pm
fredbloem wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:52 pm A few times I received error messages like the following:
These are legitimate error messages. They inform you as the sender that the recipients’ email address are simply wrong. The email addresses are no longer existing. At least in this case the system is behaving absolutely normally.
No, most, if not all of these email addresses are correct. I know most of these members and when I email them from my email app they receive my messages and none of the emails bounce.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

OK, this is indeed interesting. The error messages indicate legitimate replies from the receiving email server. If you send a message to an email address that is no longer existing or valid the receiving email server will give exactly this specific reply.

It is highly unusual and technically incorrect for an email server to give out a reply like this is an email address does exist. So if these error messages are indeed from the receiving email server, then the receiving server is not working like it should be.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

This message on the 'Send a Message' app from the tech department tells us a few things... 1-They are fully aware of the problem. 2-They are working on it. 3-It will not be fixed anytime soon.

The Church’s email delivery via “Send a Message” in Leader and Clerk Resources has been problematic for the past several weeks. Some email providers are currently blocking email traffic from Church servers.

Church engineers are actively working on the problem both internally, with external vendors and email providers. There appears to be no “quick fix” for the issue and may continue for some time. For the best probability of not being blocked, we recommend:

Email messages sent via “Send a Message” be sent during the week instead of near peak hours of Saturday and Sunday.
Members verify that the email addresses on their Church account are correct.
Thank you for your patience as we work through email delivery problems.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

Thanks for sharing this information.

But the issues have been existing for years and not weeks.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

I used to get an email that notified me of the email addresses to which my LCR messages were not delivered. The vast majority of those email addresses were emails of members who did not want to be contacted and thus, their email addresses in LCR included "donotcontact" (eg johnsmith@gmaildonotcontact.com). I know we weren't supposed to do that, but I felt there really wasn't a better option to keep those members' email addresses on their record and not inadvertently send them unwelcome emails (hence, my suggestion in another thread for LCR to include a do-not-contact function that only the bishop can see, but that's a different topic). Anyway, I just noticed that those email addresses have been deleted from those members' profiles/records. The issue here is that barring the "donotcontact" wording, those email addresses were valid and now they're gone and they're going to be hard if not impossible to get back. Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder if this is related to the Church IT folks trying to fix this Send a Message issue.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”