"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by lajackson »

cgiddley wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm Can someone help me? I have a Yahoo email account.
A response to this duplicate post by cgiddley is found here which may be of interest to others who are also posting in this topic.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

It’s interesting that the problem seems to be intermittent… I had the problem with AOL and Yahoo addresses last year not receiving the newsletter and then it resolved itself, but is now a problem again with AOL and Yahoo.
csession

Post by csession »

cgiddley wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm I was able to receive emails via LCR without any trouble until I became ward executive secretary two weeks ago and I gained access to LCR, after never having had access to it before. Since then, I haven't been able to receive any emails from anyone, including myself, and I can't send emails to anyone. My stake clerk doesn't know why. Can someone help me? I have a Yahoo email account. I get the green indicator saying the message is sending, as well, but then I receive no confirmation, and no one, including myself, receives the email. I can't receive emails from any of the other ward leaders, either. I'm missing out on everything and having to ask others to send emails for me.
I wish someone from the LCR dev team would watch theses forums and respond what is happening.

Through an inside source I learned that there is a problem with messages being delivered to a set of domains including yahoo and aol. But I can’t say why or when this may be resolved — that is for them to say.

My advice? Use or get a new email address. My father was getting no end of spam and complaining … I finally stepped him through how to do it. Make a list and keep track of everything methodically. Good luck!
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

Not only are we having the same problems that everyone else is experiencing, but I no longer get email notifications when a discussion here in the tech forum has a reply :shock:
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I found a way to send my newsletter to those with AOL and Yahoo addresses. In Member Tools, I created a list of the 39 members with those addresses, and then after I sent the newsletter using Send a Message, I copied and pasted it an email to them using the Tools list. So far, it seems to be working.
csession

Post by csession »

zaneclark wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:21 am I found a way to send my newsletter to those with AOL and Yahoo addresses. In Member Tools, I created a list of the 39 members with those addresses, and then after I sent the newsletter using Send a Message, I copied and pasted it an email to them using the Tools list. So far, it seems to be working.
So there is a different response/send method when sending to individuals vs “everyone”?

I usually groom the recipient list to remove people I know have moved but whose records haven’t been pulled yet, and exclude serving missionaries. But even when doing that, the Yahoo folks were reporting not receiving the messages.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

csession wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 am
zaneclark wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:21 am I found a way to send my newsletter to those with AOL and Yahoo addresses. In Member Tools, I created a list of the 39 members with those addresses, and then after I sent the newsletter using Send a Message, I copied and pasted it an email to them using the Tools list. So far, it seems to be working.
So there is a different response/send method when sending to individuals vs “everyone”?

I usually groom the recipient list to remove people I know have moved but whose records haven’t been pulled yet, and exclude serving missionaries. But even when doing that, the Yahoo folks were reporting not receiving the messages.
When you initiate sending an email through Member Tools, it sends the email using your own email address, instead of the Church's – which avoids issues with email servers that block the Church's email address.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

This is exactly how it is done in my ward. Members with callings in positions where they need to send emails to members use their own private email account for sending out emails. Not an every case of course but in many cases. The reason is because the email system of the church is too unreliable.

You can of course do that. But it’s certainly not what the church intends to do. The church intends for members to use LCR to send out messages. Using a workaround like sending emails from your private email account is exactly this: a workaround. But it is a workaround we have been forced to use for years and years and years because the email system of the church is too unreliable.
csession

Post by csession »

sbradshaw wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:51 am
When you initiate sending an email through Member Tools, it sends the email using your own email address, instead of the Church's – which avoids issues with email servers that block the Church's email address.
Wait a second. Member tools vs. LCR. We are talking about two different tools, right?

LCR = web tool: are there two different methods of sending the "from" or just one? I understand that this generates the "official message from ward or stake leaders" and goes through the Church email system.

Member tools = mobile app: you can email a group of people but it comes through your mobile devices personal email.

Do I have this straight?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

csession wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:57 pm Wait a second. Member tools vs. LCR. We are talking about two different tools, right?

You have it straight. LCR hosts just one method, the Send a Message tool that does not always send the message to everyone. It runs on the Church servers and uses the Church email system.

Member Tools is the mobile app where you are able to make a list and then use your own personal email to send to them.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”