"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sebastian.buck

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by sebastian.buck »

In my ward we have almost completely stopped using LCR for sending out messages to members. It is simply not useable in the current state … and never has been.

We use our personal email accounts. They work reliably.

I would strongly urge against using Google services because of their business model and privacy issues.
caillines

Post by caillines »

sebastian.buck wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:40 pm In my ward we have almost completely stopped using LCR for sending out messages to members. It is simply not useable in the current state … and never has been.
Sending from personal emails isn't really practical for anything beyond small groups as far as ensuring that addresses are up to date, and keeping track of groups.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

I agree that ensuring that addresses are up to date is going to be difficult when sending from personal emails. What are they doing in your ward?
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

I totally agree. But what can you do if the church is unable or unwilling to fix this issue?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Although we are having the same problem with some domains, the list of those with these domains I created in Member Tools as I previously reported seems to work. I send out a copy of the weekly newsletter using this list, while at the same time, encouraging members with the problem domains to use a different email client if they have one.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

sebastian.buck wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:21 pm I totally agree. But what can you do if the church is unable or unwilling to fix this issue?
I might catch flack for suggesting this, but one option that could help keep things updated would be to print the ward directory (with email addresses) to a PDF file, convert the PDF file to plain text, massage the formatting of the text so it's independent of move-ins/move-outs (remove page breaks, etc.) and then compare an earlier version vs. a later version. If the formatting is right, any changes in email address should pop out.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

You are right. That is one possible way to deal with the situation. It would be much easier though if the list could be exported as a csv file. In that case you could easily import it to Excel or any other program or use a script. The most obvious solution however would be to fix the whole issue altogether. But that seems not very likely anytime soon.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you initiate sending an email from the "Organizations" section of the Member Tools app, it will load the latest email addresses into a new email using your default email app. You shouldn't need to keep a separate list.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:03 am If you initiate sending an email from the "Organizations" section of the Member Tools app, it will load the latest email addresses into a new email using your default email app. You shouldn't need to keep a separate list.
This is brilliant! It works and it automatically puts the emails in the BCC field!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Also, if you have Member Tools on your phone but find it easier to compose an email from your computer, you can start the email on your phone, save it as a draft, then pick up the draft on your computer (assuming your email account is set up to sync drafts, which is usually the default).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”