"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sebastian.buck

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by sebastian.buck »

Incomplete transfers will be detected and an error message is generated. The sender would then get notified.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sebastian.buck wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:29 am Incomplete transfers will be detected and an error message is generated. The sender would then get notified.
From what I understand, a change was made such that the transfer went though, but the email was never delivered or kicked back with an error message. Users here remarked they used to get a list of what emails weren't delivered, but then that stopped.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MDJackson

Post by MDJackson »

In my ward (Ashburn, VA), I've received messages from many people not receiving the weekly newsletter I sent out. Their email domains are yahoo, aol, hotmail, and verizon (which I'm told routes through AOL servers). I no longer receive the newsletter (that I sent out!) to my hotmail account. This started a week ago. It's bad enough that the "Send a Message" scrubs all formatting when you copy/paste. I learned the hard way on the formatting issue. But this blocking of emails is so frustrating!
csession

Post by csession »

We just sent an email to the members of the ward with AOL/Yahoo/Verizon and informed them of the problem and let them know that they should switch to another mail domain. That is about all you can do. Let them understand the problem and give them a solution. But at this point after all these messages, I am done worrying about it.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

Switching to another email domain does not necessarily help. All domains can be affected by this problem. It might be that Yahoo and some other domains are more affected or at least more often. But other domains are affected as well from time to time. So in short, there is no “safe” domain to use.
corme

Post by corme »

I send out the bulletin in my ward and I have had several members who are saying they are not receiving them. When I check their names/ email addresses are on the outgoing list. I have checked in the member's information and that is accurate with what they say they have. It is various accounts including AOL, gmail, Hotmail, and a couple others. We know it is not blocking my account since they are able to receive and send to me independently of the list serve. I cannot find anyway to contact the IT department of the site to be able to problem shoot. Nor are there any solutions in any of the help screens. All dozen or more of the recipients had received messages in the past but have had issues the last few weeks with not getting them and in some cases another member of their household doe receive so that lets us know it is not an issue with their provider. I too have been sending a copy of the newsletter to those identified individuals but worry about others not receiving vital information that we distribute through the LCR site and messages. Any ideas or ways to proceed in resolving this issue?
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

Basically the whole thread is about this issue. So far some workarounds by other members were described. But there is no known solution to the underlying problem. And since this issue has been around for years and years it is very unlikely that the church is going to resolve it anytime soon.

In essence you have to acknowledge that very likely some or even a lot of sent out messages will not be received by the ones you are sending them to. You can send out newsletters and other messages from your own private email account. This is one of the workarounds. But there’s nothing you can do about the malfunctioning of the church’ email system.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sebastian.buck wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 am Basically the whole thread is about this issue. So far some workarounds by other members were described. But there is no known solution to the underlying problem. And since this issue has been around for years and years it is very unlikely that the church is going to resolve it anytime soon.

In essence you have to acknowledge that very likely some or even a lot of sent out messages will not be received by the ones you are sending them to. You can send out newsletters and other messages from your own private email account. This is one of the workarounds. But there’s nothing you can do about the malfunctioning of the church’ email system.
I'm not sure I would agree that this is a "malfunctioning of the church's email system." I don't think we know for sure and the church isn't saying. The only thing I have read is that the church is aware that some providers are blocking emails from the Send A Message tool at the server level and they are working with them to resolve it. The church has no control over email service providers and how they handle incoming traffic. Either it is much more complicated than we know, or there are other priorities assigned to the few programmers on staff that they have not been able to get to this.

I agree that the most sure workaround at this time is to send your communications from your personal email address. It should be understood, though, that sending lots of emails to people in your ward/branch/stake who don't want them could drive them to report your emails as spam to their email service provider. Discretion is advised to honor those member's wishes who simply don't want as much communication as some leaders want to give.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Creating a list of members with problem domains in Member Tools and sending them a copy of the newsletter is still working for me.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

davesudweeks wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:30 pm
sebastian.buck wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 am Basically the whole thread is about this issue. So far some workarounds by other members were described. But there is no known solution to the underlying problem. And since this issue has been around for years and years it is very unlikely that the church is going to resolve it anytime soon.

I'm not sure I would agree that this is a "malfunctioning of the church's email system." I don't think we know for sure and the church isn't saying. The only thing I have read is that the church is aware that some providers are blocking emails from the Send A Message tool at the server level and they are working with them to resolve it. The church has no control over email service providers and how they handle incoming traffic. Either it is much more complicated than we know, or there are other priorities assigned to the few programmers on staff that they have not been able to get to this.

I agree that the most sure workaround at this time is to send your communications from your personal email address. It should be understood, though, that sending lots of emails to people in your ward/branch/stake who don't want them could drive them to report your emails as spam to their email service provider. Discretion is advised to honor those member's wishes who simply don't want as much communication as some leaders want to give.
Would that be the more sure word of workaround? :lol:

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”