"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
MDJackson

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by MDJackson »

Thanks for the replies and for commiserating with me. It's so frustrating. The fact that today I didn't receive the newsletter or the auto-generated replay from LCR when I have always received it in the past (and nothing has changed with my email) certainly points to the problem being on the church's side of things.
mstadler

Post by mstadler »

Stake clerk here… I send a weekly email to all ward and stake leaders, about 195 total recipients. I use the create a report feature by selecting the callings needed and then having name and email address listed.
Then I run the report, copy/paste that into a spreadsheet…. Then copy the email addresses column and paste it into gmail BCC.

I use this due to the formatting issues of pasting into “send a message”. The process might seem time consuming but after the report is setup it is very quick, and i just rerun the report every few weeks and paste it into a spreadsheet again. No manual editing. This may work for some wards or those that were suggesting Member tools. For stake wide emails, I still use “send a message” since the number is so large. Hope that gets fixed soon.
jjtanner

Post by jjtanner »

It seems like the send a message issue does not work for Yahoo email addresses. That's the one constant we've found so far for those who cannot use it to send a bulk message or receive one. We just did another trial this morning and so far the only people not receiving the message have Yahoo accounts. This really needs to be fixed as soon as possible. People can switch to other email accounts but not everyone has the inclination or ability to do that.

There are other options (generate email addresses and bcc them using whatever email client and server people use) but that is not always practical.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

Since this issue has been reoccurring for many years it is highly unlikely that it will be fixed anytime soon. For whatever reason the church seems to be unable to fix the issue.

Yahoo email services have been known for quite some other issues in the past. So it is possible - although I do not for certain of course - that Yahoo will delete or filter some incoming emails after they have been accepted. If this is indeed the case there is no way the sending server of the church can know about it. Nor will the church be able to do anything about it.
fredbloem

Post by fredbloem »

sebastian.buck wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:13 am Since this issue has been reoccurring for many years it is highly unlikely that it will be fixed anytime soon. For whatever reason the church seems to be unable to fix the issue.

Yahoo email services have been known for quite some other issues in the past. So it is possible - although I do not for certain of course - that Yahoo will delete or filter some incoming emails after they have been accepted. If this is indeed the case there is no way the sending server of the church can know about it. Nor will the church be able to do anything about it.
Thank you for mentioning the known issues with Yahoo email services. I just found this article (https://www.inboxally.com/blog/why-is-y ... verability) and I believe that it is a combination of the nine listed reasons why the Church has email deliverability problems.

Reason #8 may well be the biggest problem.
8. Repeatedly Sending to Invalid Email Addresses
If you are repeatedly sending emails to invalid Yahoo addresses or blocked email addresses, it could be another reason why your emails are blocked. So, as much as possible, build your email list using an opt-in with an email validation process and take care of your list hygiene. This is a great way to avoid sending emails or newsletters to invalid email addresses.
There are so many less active members on the Church's membership records and, no doubt, many of them have invalid Yahoo email addresses. However, unless ward clerks around the world will remove all of those invalid Yahoo email addresses, the problem will continue as the emails will continue to bounce every time ward leaders use the LCR Send a Message function.
sebastian.buck

Post by sebastian.buck »

I don’t know how Yahoo is handling emails in detail. And for obvious reasons yt hey will keep that more or less a secret.

However there are certain standards. If the receiving server blocks certain incoming emails it should give feedback to the sending server. And if somebody is sending an email to a non-existing email address the receiving server is required to give out an error message to the sending server. So in either case we should get an error message when sending emails from within LCR.

I don’t want to make it too technical but in essence the only way for emails to not being received or getting lost is when the receiving server excepts an incoming email and later filters or deletes it. This certainly is a behavior the church cannot control in any way.

But for reasons that I have mentioned some time ago this is not the only problem. So I still suspect most of the issues people have with emails not being received by the recipients is something within the churche’s IT.
fletch74

Post by fletch74 »

Please feel free to point me to a response from a church employee if there already is one in this (or another) thread on the Yahoo email address issue:

1) Has the Church IT department acknowledged that there is an issue with members receiving LCR emails if they have a Yahoo account?
2) If so, will someone please either share or point me to a current status report?
3) Is there a resolution ETA?
4) Will wards receive a notification about the issue with the status/resolution ETA?
5) The best work around I can think of is to create a custom report that finds all members whose email address includes @yahoo.com and to then email those members via the user's regular email client (preferably on BCC). Is there a better workaround than this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fredbloem wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:04 pm Thank you for mentioning the known issues with Yahoo email services. I just found this article (https://www.inboxally.com/blog/why-is-y ... verability) and I believe that it is a combination of the nine listed reasons why the Church has email deliverability problems.

Given there's no way of opting out of local leadership emails short of completely removing your email from the system, I'd think "#9. Spamming Complaints" would rank pretty high.

#8 could certainly be an issue. It would require a bounce message to "delist" the email from future mailings. But that requires adding a feature to the system and as such, would compete will all the other development tasks.

Given that ALL emails come from the same address, we may all be suffering from a few units that go overboard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

fredbloem wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:04 pmThank you for mentioning the known issues with Yahoo email services. I just found this article (https://www.inboxally.com/blog/why-is-y ... verability) and I believe that it is a combination of the nine listed reasons why the Church has email deliverability problems.
Here's a similar article: https://inboxroad.com/how-to-stop-yahoo ... ur-emails/
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:56 pm
fredbloem wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:04 pm Thank you for mentioning the known issues with Yahoo email services. I just found this article (https://www.inboxally.com/blog/why-is-y ... verability) and I believe that it is a combination of the nine listed reasons why the Church has email deliverability problems.

Given there's no way of opting out of local leadership emails short of completely removing your email from the system, I'd think "#9. Spamming Complaints" would rank pretty high.

#8 could certainly be an issue. It would require a bounce message to "delist" the email from future mailings. But that requires adding a feature to the system and as such, would compete will all the other development tasks.

Given that ALL emails come from the same address, we may all be suffering from a few units that go overboard.
Overboard how? This problem is much bigger than a few units causing it. We are trying to use the email system as it has been structured for leaders to use.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”