"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davesudweeks

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:22 am But a valid domain with a fake name (DoNoContactsomeon@aol.com) would hit that provider.
This is similar to the format our clerk used for the member I mentioned a few posts earlier.
tmortensenii

Post by tmortensenii »

I was doing something similar for people that didn't want to get emails (we were emailing them every week with announcements.) Adding in a note to DNC. Problem is it was hitting providers as people that didn't exist that impacts their ratings. Also doing the domain, means that the emails can sit in the church's servers depending on the configuration of their email servers. So neither is probably an approach they will appreciate.

We got an email from the Global Help desk telling me to instead delete them in the future, and they removed the offending ones. Having managed email services for a service provider that supported multiple states emails, what I was doing does cause the church issues. It would be way nice if they had a Don't want to receive "Send a Message" emails so that people don't get the broad emails. The email though could stay for more targeted efforts by organizations to reach these people.

Hopefully they get it fixed or enable a send a scheduled email feature as right now the not emailing on the weekends is not fun.
Good luck to their support teams, email issues are never fun.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

It’s my understanding that the church doesn’t accommodate “do not contact” lists because we shouldn’t have one.

If a member can’t be found, we are to go through the process and send records back (tip, delete the old incorrect address before sending the record back). I’ve successfully sent back 20+ records to Salt Lake (that have not been returned)

If they can be found.
I’ve learned that most no contacts are not really no contacts. I’ve had many pleasant text and email exchanges with some of them. The preferred option is to invite them back to the fold.

Next we present them with the option of receiving blanket emails and very occasional invitations to activities.

Finally if they want no contact at all they are invited to contact the Bishop personally and have their names removed from the records.
tmortensenii

Post by tmortensenii »

I personally feel that if the church allows for the restriction of sharing people's personal information via the privacy settings under your record it is just a matter of time before they add a do we want "bulk" email. (aka Send a Message emails) We'll see. The Calendar and blocked email are running programmers busy so not expecting it anytime soon. :)
Thanks,
jirp

Post by jirp »

Is there some way to beat the system and go around or thru the problems with the send message function while staying within church policy???(and without turning messaging into a full time job) I have a number of answers but all the ones I have would be violations of church policy. The one that just nailed me is I sent a notice of WC being moved Tues. And I forgot to check back for the confirmation email. That much is my fault. And of course this is one that simply poofed on church servers.(it was middle of the week and late at night so best chance of working) But the messages not being delivered at times to some individuals is another problem. Having a problem still 5 years later and it only getting worse is frustrating.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I may not be experiencing the same problems as others, as I have only had issues with Yahoo and AOL addresses not receiving the weekly newsletter. I "solved" this by creating a list in Member Tools of the 50+ not receiving the newsletter through Send a Message, and use this to send a copy of the newsletter to them.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

It seems fairly straightforward to me. If a person doesn’t want any contact with the church, even a simple email, they should be invited to talk to their Bishop about being removed from the records.

We want to invite and welcome all into the fold. If someone doesn’t want a friendly member showing up on their doorstep, there is a chance that the Lord will soften their hearts and they will come back when the time is right. If they won’t even accept an email that they can simply delete, they might be too far gone.
tmckinlayv

Post by tmckinlayv »

dear wrigjef— –

My feeling is that no one is “too far gone”.
What did you actually intend to communicate?
Deleting member records because the record’s presence is annoying to us,
feels like a misplaced priority to me.

thank you

– —Tom Vanderlinden
jgoggan

Post by jgoggan »

wrigjef wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 am It seems fairly straightforward to me. If a person doesn’t want any contact with the church, even a simple email, they should be invited to talk to their Bishop about being removed from the records.
What? Someone could easily not want to get the latest email about the EQ needing people to help with a move -- that doesn't mean, at all, that they don't want "any contact with the church" nor that they need to talk to the Bishop about having their records removed!
We want to invite and welcome all into the fold. If someone doesn’t want a friendly member showing up on their doorstep, there is a chance that the Lord will soften their hearts and they will come back when the time is right. If they won’t even accept an email that they can simply delete, they might be too far gone.
Yeah, no. Sorry, I know several active members with active callings who are regular Temple goers -- who wish they could unsubscribe from the Ward email list. These are not people who are "too far gone" by any stretch.

Some Wards make extensive use of the Send A Message feature. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. I'm fine with it myself. But to suggest that anyone who would rather not get those is someone that needs their records removed is a really weird leap to me.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

It seems like a big part of the problem being described here stems from overuse of the send a message feature. People shouldn’t have a problem hitting the delete key a couple times a week. As far as removing records, I believe that every effort should be made to bring someone back. At the same time there is a reason that the church doesn’t want “no contact” lists nor do they want to squelch individual agency.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”