"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
caillines

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by caillines »

rmrichesjr wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:54 pm
When I read the document, it said the 1-click unsubscribe requirement was for "commercial" messages. Whether Google considers Church messages to be "commercial" may determine whether that's a problem.
That's a good point that I'd missed during my reading of it. I guess we'll find out come February.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:54 pm When I read the document, it said the 1-click unsubscribe requirement was for "commercial" messages. Whether Google considers Church messages to be "commercial" may determine whether that's a problem.
Maybe. Their interest is in keeping it simple. Since the church has multiple subscription categories, the stopping by a preference page first would seem to be in everyone's interests. Reset your preferences once instead of "one click" for each kind of email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

I got this message when I tried to use the Send a Message function in LCR: "There was an error sending your message. Please try again later." I got this message when I first tried to send a message about an hour ago and then when I tried again just a few minutes ago. Has anyone else received this message? Is there a fix/work around for it?
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

Hilohi wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:52 pm I got this message when I tried to use the Send a Message function in LCR: "There was an error sending your message. Please try again later." I got this message when I first tried to send a message about an hour ago and then when I tried again just a few minutes ago. Has anyone else received this message? Is there a fix/work around for it?
I just got this same message again. I had included five attachments (four flyers in jpeg format and our sacrament meeting program in PDF format) and when I deleted them, I was able to send my message without the aforementioned error occurring. I don't think it's the size of the attachments that are causing this issue as they're not large files. I've also included multiple documents in the past without any issues. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

Hilohi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:11 am
Hilohi wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:52 pm I got this message when I tried to use the Send a Message function in LCR: "There was an error sending your message. Please try again later." I got this message when I first tried to send a message about an hour ago and then when I tried again just a few minutes ago. Has anyone else received this message? Is there a fix/work around for it?
I just got this same message again. I had included five attachments (four flyers in jpeg format and our sacrament meeting program in PDF format) and when I deleted them, I was able to send my message without the aforementioned error occurring. I don't think it's the size of the attachments that are causing this issue as they're not large files. I've also included multiple documents in the past without any issues. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?
I think I figured out the cause of this issue. I use two separate Apple computers. I save the sacrament meeting programs on one computer and I have LCR open on the other computer. I drag and drop the sacrament meeting program from one computer to the other one. However, when I drop the sacrament meeting program to the other computer (where LCR is open), the sacrament meeting program attaches as a 0 kb file. I noticed that the number that's in the parenthesis next to the file name after I drag and drop it is blank. Conversely, when I use only one computer (the one where the sacrament meeting programs are saved), I don't get that issue (the parenthesis next to the file name actually shows the size of the file - about 35 KB) and I'm able to send my message via LCR without any issues. I've been using this two-computer workflow for a few years now and this issue began only last week. I cleared my cookies, but I still got the same issue. It shouldn't be an issue with the file itself as I use the same document and only update the info on it. Weird.
cgiddley

Post by cgiddley »

Hilohi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:43 am
Hilohi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:11 am
I think I figured out the cause of this issue. I use two separate Apple computers. I save the sacrament meeting programs on one computer and I have LCR open on the other computer. I drag and drop the sacrament meeting program from one computer to the other one. However, when I drop the sacrament meeting program to the other computer (where LCR is open), the sacrament meeting program attaches as a 0 kb file. I noticed that the number that's in the parenthesis next to the file name after I drag and drop it is blank. Conversely, when I use only one computer (the one where the sacrament meeting programs are saved), I don't get that issue (the parenthesis next to the file name actually shows the size of the file - about 35 KB) and I'm able to send my message via LCR without any issues. I've been using this two-computer workflow for a few years now and this issue began only last week. I cleared my cookies, but I still got the same issue. It shouldn't be an issue with the file itself as I use the same document and only update the info on it. Weird.
I've noticed that periodically over the past 15 months LCR Send a Message appears to not allow me to send messages with any kind of attachment; however, it doesn't give me an error message when this is the case. Sometimes, about 16 hours later, the emails are delivered to the email addresses whose service providers haven't blocked delivery of Church emails. I became aware of the issue the first time when no one (including me) received the ward bulletin I sent -- until about 16 hours later. This happened several weeks in a row. ... For about three weeks in a row, several months ago, LCR Send a Message would not allow me to send any messages at all -- even with no attachment -- to anyone, with no error message, and the messages were not delivered at all. (All of this occurred after I changed my Church directory email address from Yahoo to Outlook in August 2022 in order to overcome the delivery blocking issue.) ... So now I always test before depending on Send a Message to work. I always send the test email, with an attachment, to only myself. If Send a Message is working, I receive the sent email instantly. If I don't receive the email instantly, then I send another test email, with no attachment. Depending on the results of my tests and how much time I have, I send out an attachment-free email directing people to our ward Facebook page to see the attachment, or to pick up a paper printout when they arrive for sacrament meeting; I post the attachment and a message letting people know that Send a Message is not working today -- to whatever extent is the case -- to our Facebook page; and I send my usual email (and attachment) from my personal email account to those members who never are able to receive any messages sent via Send a Message because of their email addresses. ... I use Yahoo to send from a personal account, in tranches of about 20 emails at a time, and haven't experienced any resistance that way; however, when I tried using Outlook that way, my account was frozen several times because I was flagged as a spammer. I had to work with their customer service to unfreeze my account.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

With much hesitation and prayer, it appears that LCR send a message function is working for now for AOL, Yahoo and Hotmail email addresses. Hopefully this will continue. It is too soon to say that is fixed, and there has been no announcement nor a posting to LCR that it is.
caillines

Post by caillines »

I've sent out a few test emails to yahoo people I think will respond to my test emails.
I will see what results I get.
kayhouser

Post by kayhouser »

you can go to the Tools app and under " groups" create a group and send messages. . You'll need to mark on the individual record of the members to include into a chosen text group.
kclemans

Post by kclemans »

I've had problems for months with the formatting of Send a Message. I send a weekly email for our Aaronic Priesthood Quorums. I never know when Send a Message is going to keep the white space I put in my messages. Today I tried putting a period on each blank line and that worked to maintain spacing between paragraphs. I am sharing this in case it helps anyone else. My browser is the latest Windows version of Google Chrome.

sample:
Young Men and your families,
Temple: Pres. Russell M. Nelson: "Spending more time in the temple builds faith. And your service and worship in the temple will help you 'think celestial.' …There you are drawn closer to the Savior and given greater access to His power. There you are guided in solving the problems in your life, even your most perplexing problems. We are grateful to announce our plans to build a temple in … Colorado Springs, Colorado!"
“Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man” (Luke 2:52).

Previous unsuccessful attempts:
  • pasting from Microsoft Word
  • pasting from Google Doc
  • manually deleting the white space once I've copied and pasted the email text, and then manually reinserting returns where I want them (returns still got stripped out in the sent version of the email)
I hope this is helpful.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”