"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davesudweeks

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by davesudweeks »

ayoward wrote:...am I right in thinking there is no way to set up your own list through the Send a Message function?
This is correct. You can include or exclude anyone from the message, but you cannot save a custom list in the tool. (Personal opinion: I don't think the Send a Message tool was originally designed to be used the way many are trying to use it.)

A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.
However, that's likely to effectively cancel any subscriptions the member had, such as from the main church, about their donations, or emails about their calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.
However, that's likely to effectively cancel any subscriptions the member had, such as from the main church, about their donations, or emails about their calling.
That is true. And I suppose there are those who want official communications but not unofficial chatting from everyone who reaches out to them. However, in my experience, most who don't want contact, really don't want ANY contact unless they initiate it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:That is true. And I suppose there are those who want official communications but not unofficial chatting from everyone who reaches out to them. However, in my experience, most who don't want contact, really don't want ANY contact unless they initiate it.
I think there's two groups: Those who don't want ANY contact, and those who do want some contact, but feel the local leaders are far too chatty. They want to be left off the routine bulletins that are designed to foster "involvement" or "connectiveness".

For the latter group, you're not going to want to mess with their emails, so you're still stuck with the manual removal method for them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I send out a weekly newsletter and for whatever reason, some couples would like to each receive the newsletter, but as I understand it, anything sent with "Send a Message" only goes to one email address per household and right now I can't remember if it is the individual or household email that gets the message,. So, is there any way for the household to receive 2 newsletters?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It is my understanding the Send a Message tool sends to the personal Email address for each individual (only). If the same email address is listed for both a husband and a wife, I don't know of the tool would send it once or twice to the same email. If only one spouse has a personal email address listed, only that spouse will receive communications from the Send a Message tool.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that one spouse only has their email recorded as "household" and not as "personal".

Angelafay

Re: "Send a Message" Function

Post by Angelafay »

I find "Send a Message" so handy in my calling as Relief Society President! However, I am puzzled as to why the format it looks like it's in when I send it, is not the format it looks like when it's received.
For example, I leave a line space between paragraphs. That is what I see when I send it. But when it is received, the entire letter not only is missing the line space between paragraphs, but it is just one long paragraph - the new paragraphs don't even start on a different line!
Is there a reason for this, and is there any way that I can see what it will look like when it is received, before I send it?
Angela
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In answer to your last question. I send myself the email first, then attempt to correct the errors.
If the email content is copy and pasted from a word processor, very rarely does the formatting carry across. An example is bold or underlining. I find that although they appear correct in “Send a Message” they get lost. The answer to this is to highlight the affected words and then use the built in options, by selecting and deselecting then selecting again. This might be overkill, but it works and only takes a few seconds each time.
chriswoodut

Re: "Send a Message" Function

Post by chriswoodut »

Angelafay wrote:I find "Send a Message" so handy in my calling as Relief Society President! However, I am puzzled as to why the format it looks like it's in when I send it, is not the format it looks like when it's received.
For example, I leave a line space between paragraphs. That is what I see when I send it. But when it is received, the entire letter not only is missing the line space between paragraphs, but it is just one long paragraph - the new paragraphs don't even start on a different line!
Is there a reason for this, and is there any way that I can see what it will look like when it is received, before I send it?
Angela
We have found using a google doc to do formatting works. Then you can copy and paste into the 'send a message tool' and it retains the formatting most of the time. Keep it basic formatting such as underline, bold, and text color. It cannot do anything tricky like pictures or fancy layouts. We stick to left justified text.

I agree about sending a test message first. Then, if something needs to be tweaked make the change in the google doc and then copy and paste again. I found making changes in the LCR editor lead to oddities.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”