"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jbstanford

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by jbstanford »

Hello,

I'm dealing with a bug/issue with the "Send a message" tool. If I sent out a message with text, it sends fine. However, if I include a link at all, it doesn't go through and appear correctly - but if I include an attachment, it comes through fine either way.

I've tested several times and determined it is the presence of a link that breaks it - is this expected? This is problematic because I need to send our links for online meetings out, but they aren't received. It does appear to be specific to the way the message is formatted somehow, as it shows up correctly on some mobile devices and gmail web, but not other desktop email clients.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that you're sending the link as just text. Some email clients and most web browsers will recognize web addresses in the text and automatically make them links - but not all. That sounds like what you're running into.

Is there anything in the message formatting for Send A Message that addresses links?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbstanford

Post by jbstanford »

Sorry for not clarifying - the message comes through entirely blank where it isn't displayed - not formatted incorrectly or not as a link.

That said, it looks like if I use the "Link" tool to embed it as an HTML link it works. Thx for the pointer - a bit annoying (since this is reoccurring and needs to be sent out weekly, so I can't copy/paste) but if I manually use that option to put it in that works.

Thx!
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

jbstanford wrote:Sorry for not clarifying - the message comes through entirely blank where it isn't displayed - not formatted incorrectly or not as a link.

That said, it looks like if I use the "Link" tool to embed it as an HTML link it works. Thx for the pointer - a bit annoying (since this is reoccurring and needs to be sent out weekly, so I can't copy/paste) but if I manually use that option to put it in that works.
I know we format our sacrament program in google docs (as I mentioned 4 messages above). If we create a link in google doc using ctrl-k, the link survives the cut and paste into 'send a message' and works on the receiving end (android, etc).
46kevin

Post by 46kevin »

I was told I can create a custom list using "Create a Report" in the "Reports" menu, then can somehow access that created custom list in "Send a Message".

In "Send a Message" I can find no way to access any custom reports I have created.

How is that done? Or is there a work around?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

46kevin wrote:I was told I can create a custom list using "Create a Report" in the "Reports" menu, then can somehow access that created custom list in "Send a Message".

In "Send a Message" I can find no way to access any custom reports I have created.

How is that done? Or is there a work around?
I don't think the Send a Message tool is linked to custom reports. I would ask whoever told you that to show you how - I think it was wishful thinking on their part...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Could a custom report be used to generate a list of emails that could then be cut and pasted into send a message?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Could a custom report be used to generate a list of emails that could then be cut and pasted into send a message?
Send a Message does not let you enter email addresses. Your only option is to select the member and allow SaM to use the email address on their record.
Ddavis123

Post by Ddavis123 »

I am having an issue with emails getting rejected. It appears that all of the yahoo.com and aol.com email addresses have rejected the ward-wide email I sent. It also appears that other wards are having the same issue, though this is the first time that I have had the issue.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Ddavis123 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:31 pm I am having an issue with emails getting rejected. It appears that all of the yahoo.com and aol.com email addresses have rejected the ward-wide email I sent. It also appears that other wards are having the same issue, though this is the first time that I have had the issue.

This is being discussed in another topic here:
LCR “Send a Message” application NOT sending to yahoo.com accounts

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”