Non-members paying tithes and offerings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
larrysadams

Non-members paying tithes and offerings

Post by larrysadams »

We have a non-member taking the lessons and wants to pay tithing now. She does not have a membership number.
Can she pay offerings and how?
gregwanderson

Re: Non-members paying tithes and offerings

Post by gregwanderson »

She may donate using the paper donation slips and submitting the donations to members of the bishopric. The clerk who records the donation can add her as a donor on the local, ward computer even if she is not a member of the church. She should make sure that her correct address is on the donation slip (there is not a place to write that on the current form but she can write it instead of a membership number). Then the clerk can provide a receipt for tax purposes and mail it to that address.

After she becomes a member (I'm counting on a good outcome from her time as an investigator) the clerk can link her donation records to her membership, but someone might want to remind the clerk that he must complete that step.
jdorociak

Post by jdorociak »

I asked a similar question a week or so ago (November 2017) because an investigator that we know had been paying tithing and someone in the Bishopric told her that she could not pay tithing until she became a member.
Has there been a rule change in Church financial practices since Greg's reply in 2015?
I really would appreciate a response on the current rules for paying tithing by non-members.
John
DrDorociak@gmail.com
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdorociak wrote:I really would appreciate a response on the current rules for paying tithing by non-members.
Anyone, member or not, may contribute to the Church, with the exception that a former member who was excommunicated is not permitted to pay tithing. The latter is the only restriction of which I am aware.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, only excommunicated members are prohibited from paying tithing. From the various posts in the LDS Account section, people without MRNs on their account are having no trouble donating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jdorociak wrote:...
I really would appreciate a response on the current rules for paying tithing by non-members.
Your unit leaders will find an answer to that question at the top of section 14.4 of Handbook 1. They should also be able to search for any more recent communications that might describe any changes or clarifications to the policies.

(The Code of Conduct (https://tech.lds.org/component/content/ ... of-conduct) allows providing references to section numbers within the handbooks but not quoting from Handbook 1.)
jdorociak

Post by jdorociak »

Thank you brethren!
lintonm

Post by lintonm »

I have a follow up to this question, As a bishop, I am working with a former member of the church. She was not excommunicated, but did have her name removed from the records of the church. She has had some events happen that have led her to have a change of heart towards the church. She has been attending church with her new husband, who is a member. She wants to know if she can pay tithing now. Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lintonm wrote:I have a follow up to this question, As a bishop, I am working with a former member of the church. She was not excommunicated, but did have her name removed from the records of the church. She has had some events happen that have led her to have a change of heart towards the church. She has been attending church with her new husband, who is a member. She wants to know if she can pay tithing now. Thanks
Reading though Handbook 1, I only see a prohibition of paying tithing for excommunicated members. The phrasing I see suggests that those who voluntarily leave are not considered excommunicated.

However, I'd also point to Handbook 2 0.3: "Leaders who have questions about information in the handbooks or about issues that are not addressed should direct the questions to their immediate presiding authority.'
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lintonm

Post by lintonm »

Thank you for the help, and yes I will contact my stake president.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”