Mormon Channel (and others) for Apple TV

Any discussions around the Mormon Radio Channel App on various mobile and electronic devices
JamesAnderson

Mormon Channel (and others) for Apple TV

Post by JamesAnderson »

Apple TV, the long rumored update version, has finally begun to ship. Announced in September, the updated interface and software is substantial. In fact, it's a new OS even, tvOS, behind it.

It's substantially better than the old one was in that now many apps known to be used on iOS can, with just a little tweaking, be ported over to tvOS, in fact articles about the device and OS indicate that for many, the app they have already is already very close, like about 90 percent or better of the code will work with Apple TV. So, although it will be different in a few ways, in a lot of ways it may be similar to what had to be done to make the Mormon Channel app able to work on iPads initially from the iPhone version.

It has taken 7 years to get 3,000+ channels on Roku, it may take only weeks to a couple months to get that many apps and channels onto tvOS and Apple TV. In fact, it took several years for Roku to get 500 channels, which Apple says is the initial total of apps and channels (they'll all be termed 'apps') available at the time the first ones are shipped and when they are unboxed by those who bought it..

It's going to be available in I think I heard 17 countries, if not more, and will spread to even more down the road.

Eventually through an API, there is the possibility of Siri integration too, so one could say 'Find General Conference, October 2015', and Siri would find it. There are also going to be some very good interactive possibilities, and already reviewers of the unit say that a major home shopping channel's app which shows the TV feed is a leader in interactivity early on.

There are even more possibilities that could come to even mention in one post, some people probably haven't thought of yet, and some of those could benefit both us and the world who finds Mormon Channel use it in interesting ways.
peteweston

Re: Mormon Channel (and others) for Apple TV

Post by peteweston »

Do we have a date for when the Mormon Channel will be available in the Apple TV App Store?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That was my question also.

However, since I posted originally, I've learned that there are now 1,000 apps on the tvOS app store, so they are approving apps very quickly, so that when the Mormon Channel and other Church app teams are ready to submit, the turnaround will not be that long. Sometime this week will be when it passes Roku for total apps, and the apps approved so far that I have seen in articles are much more robust than those on some other devices and platforms.

It is known that at times Apple can be swamped with new app submissions, so there is always a slight lag compared to Android.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not sure if the mobile apps team has plans to release a Mormon Channel app for tvOS right away – you should submit feedback through the iOS app so they know there is some interest. Though it would be a logical step, there are always a lot of things on the developers' to-do lists and they might not have it on their roadmap.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

True, there's a lot of things they want and need to do otherwise, but things are very fluid in the streaming media OTT device space right now because of this.

Right now the order from most popular down is Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV. I'm expecting Apple TV because of the breadth of offerings in the very near future to cause it to take over the top spot. And it will prove popular even among those who do not presently own another Apple product. So I predict it will be either Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon or Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon.

Given that supposition, or any other that could play out, I think the marketplace has decided it needs four different devices. Some others have tried to work their way in, but are not getting much action or have died up. Case in point is the Ouya Player, which had a very successful Kickstarter campaign but tanked within months of release and now it's already gone from the scene.

I feel there should be a presence on all four devices, and on Chromecast there is an app opportunity as well as the streaming of anything for which it is known for the best. And having apps on all four also means the member or anyone interested in Church content would not have to favor one device over another solely based on Church content availability, but make that decision solely on personal needs, conditions, and other circumstances.
heyring

Post by heyring »

I'll chime in for the desire for an AppleTV (tvOS) app. Just got my new AppleTV this past week and the very first thing I went to look for in the App Store was the Mormon Channel. I was sad to see it wasn't already there, but completely understand. This platform is going to explode in popularity as soon as word gets out that it works so well. I have already submitted the feedback through the app on my iPad...
heyring

Post by heyring »

Also - I will add that two other apps make sense as well. Gospel Library (which may be a bit tougher to port to this new platform), and also Family Tree. I can't imagine a scenario where LDSTools would be practical on the big screen.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Bible Videos is currently being developed for Apple TV – it will probably be the first one out. Mormon Channel may follow eventually, but it hasn't been requested by the overseeing department yet.
heyring

Post by heyring »

Don't suppose there is a way to put a word into the ear of the overseers?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In this case, the best channel would probably be sending in-app feedback through the Mormon Channel app to indicate that there's interest.

Return to “Mormon Radio Channel”