Multiple passwords

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
KD7UFS

Multiple passwords

Post by KD7UFS »

I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Multiple passwords

Post by lajackson »

kd7ufs wrote:I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?
That is the purpose of the Helper function in Family History. She signs in with her own LDSAccount, and then is able to help you. You should find information on how to do it at the Family History Forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:That is the purpose of the Helper function in Family History. She signs in with her own LDSAccount, and then is able to help you. You should find information on how to do it at the Family History Forum.
An even better link is the FamilySearch article: Using the Help Others features.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My only problem with the Helper function of FamilySearch is that it is usually good only for the current window. If you click one of the search links to open a search window, or a Source Linker window, the second window usually reverts to the original login credentials.
Then again, when working with deceased persons, which are visible to anyone who has a login, I'm not sure if it really matters whether you use the Helper function or not. We all share a single Family Tree, and we can all create, modify, and delete any deceased person in Family Tree. The only reason to become a Helper is to manage living person records, or to manage temple submissions.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:The only reason to become a Helper is to manage living person records, or to manage temple submissions.
Well, although it's true that many things can be done without helper mode, you're understating the reasons for that mode by quite a bit.

A helper can also work with the person's memories -- all the photos, stories, and audio -- and many operations on memories can only be done by the owner. Everything done on behalf of the person will have that person's name attached (not the helper's), which affects the history. The helper can also set (or clear) watches on the person's behalf, and can view the relationship of people on the tree to the person. None of those things can be done outside of helper mode.
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LDSAccountTech »

kd7ufs wrote:I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?
The LDS Account is a single-user account that is used across multiple LDS church-affiliated sites. Because lds.org and familysearch.org both use the LDS Account, they will use the same password. Unless your wife tries to access resources with your account that she shouldn't have access to, everything should be fine. Of course, using the 'helper' function is also a great way to receive help without sharing your LDS Account login.
gsgiauque

Post by gsgiauque »

Thanks to the first question on this thread. However, I believe the issue is not truly resolved.
I have accounts in lds.org, familysearch.org temple portal.org (and maybe more).
I just read this article https://www.pcmag.com/news/stop-using-t ... -no-really
It says to stop using the same password for multiple accounts.
Well, as far as I can see (and I'm not very "tech-y") the Church wants me to use ***one*** password for all 3 of those accounts.
What's a person to do?
Please help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gsgiauque wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:01 pm I have accounts in lds.org, familysearch.org temple portal.org (and maybe more).
I believe the familysearch.org account is a separate account. You can change the password on that.

The others, I'm pretty sure use the same account (Church Account), so of course they will be the same login/password. The article doesn't really cover the situation where one account is designed to work on multiple places.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gsgiauque

Post by gsgiauque »

I don't believe I made my question clear.

Let me quote from the answer given to ks7uds on 06 Nov. 2015.
"Because lds.org and familysearch.org both use the LDS Account, they will use the same password. "

****Exactly!**** And therein lies the problem.

The previous sentence (just before the one I just quoted) says: "The LDS Account is a single-user account that is used across multiple LDS church-affiliated sites."

I know that. I really do know that!

But the material I have read concerning using the same password for more than one account says -- **Do ***not do*** that!**

The sentence I quoted above says lds.org and familysearch.org both use the LDS Account. So does templeportal.org.

But my password manager says that they are 3 separate and distinct accounts! They certainly appear to be. But they all use my one and only single password to get into any one of the three.

"So--" someone will say --"change your password manager -- find one that doesn't say that the 3 .org "entities" are not 3 separate accounts."
Nope! I'm not gonna do that, thank you.

But what exactly are lds.org, familysearch.org and templeportal.org if they are not accounts? What are they "called?"

I realize this is a blog. The idea of a blog is for people to help other people. No one who posts on the blog has any authority to make changes in the Church's sites. I've known that for a long time.
But doesn't the following seem strange? Most people who have a Familysearch.org "account" probably also have an lds.org "account." And of those, a certain percentage, maybe small, have a templeportal.org account. It would be a hacker's paradise to find the password of any one of those 3 "accounts" and thereby gain access to additional personal information. This is exactly what the "experts" who advise against using the same password for multiple accounts are warning about . Surely -- some computer engineer working for the Church ought to be concerned about this important security issue. I would hope that one of those who blog frequently on this site might have a way to get the attention of an engineer who would take seriously this security issue.
As I said at the end of my first post, Please help. Pretty pretty please.

BTW, my general location is Utah. I clicked on "Profile" and it asked questions I really can't answer. What is an ICQ? I have no interest in Twitter, Facebook, etc. etc. So I'll just bypass editing Profile.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The article is written for the general population. There's limits to the extent of how they can be applied.

If you're concerned, then I'd suggest turning on Two-factor authentication. Then, even if your password is stolen, hackers can't get in. However, you have to choose carefully which system to go with as the mobile apps don't support all of them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”