Broadcast Email Is Unreliable

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

dmaynes wrote:My e-mail this morning was broadcast on the first attempt, so I am happy. I don't know why this fails intermittently, but the e-mail was as big as ever. There are now 97 subscribers. I don't know if the failure is related to the size of the distribution list, either.
This morning's e-mail was successful on the first attempt. :)

I am concerned about reports of partial delivery of the e-mails. How can I determine this? Ask every member on the list if they receive the e-mails?

Thanks,
Dennis
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dmaynes wrote:This is certainly one way, but please all should be aware that you should break the list into two parts. The first part are those e-mails that are public. The second part is the list of e-mails that members have asked to be kept private.
Ailene's BCC suggestion takes care of this.
dainapettit

Grabbing email addresses easily

Post by dainapettit »

AileneRHerrick wrote:How do you "grab" the list? I've been having the same trouble with sending out broadcasts as well. I've been wanting to use the broadcasts, because people are tired of the vague "For more information, please see the website" for events. Are you typing each email in by hand? I COULD do that... but if there is a more efficient way, that would be better.
Ugh, typing each email by hand would be a major pain.

The way I do this is trivial and takes about 5 seconds. With the list of email addresses on the "are you sure you want to do this" page I just use my left mouse button to select all the email addresses, and then middle click in my BCC: line of my email client which instanly pastes the email addresses without all the html tag junk. Now this is simple because I use the X-Window System, which runs under Linux or most flavors of Unix. I don't know if this will work with Windows or MacOS/X. If you can select and then copy/paste in whatever operating system you have then that should have the same result.

The alternative would be to View->Source and then extract the email addresses from there. Getting all the email addresses from the Registered Users page would work too, but would have more embedded html stuff.

I like doing the top approach because it's fast and clean and I don't have to filter out anything. It will automatically have all the right addresses and I don't have to maintain a separate email list. Maintaining a separate email list would be a nightmare.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dainapettit wrote:Now this is simple because I use the X-Window System, which runs under Linux or most flavors of Unix. I don't know if this will work with Windows or MacOS/X. If you can select and then copy/paste in whatever operating system you have then that should have the same result.
There probably is a keyboard combination or possibly mouse click that can do it on other operating systems or browsers. One idea would be to see if there is a "Special Paste" (maybe in a right-click menu) where you can select to paste without any of the markup.
doughy

Post by doughy »

dmaynes wrote:This morning's e-mail was successful on the first attempt. :)

I am concerned about reports of partial delivery of the e-mails. How can I determine this? Ask every member on the list if they receive the e-mails?

Thanks,
Dennis
I called the church support desk yesterday and reported this problem directly to IT. Hopefully they have already fixed the problem. I'll follow up on my ticket number in a few days and report back what they tell me.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Doughy wrote:I called the church support desk yesterday and reported this problem directly to IT. Hopefully they have already fixed the problem. I'll follow up on my ticket number in a few days and report back what they tell me.

That would be great! Thanks!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Doughy wrote:I called the church support desk yesterday and reported this problem directly to IT. Hopefully they have already fixed the problem. I'll follow up on my ticket number in a few days and report back what they tell me.
The service desk is VERY good at getting back to someone - at least that's been my experience. As this issue has been an active one with a variety of experiences in regards to broadcast Emails, I'm sure that everyone will be VERY interested in any resolution.

Thanks again for your followup.:p
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

Post by zaneclark »

That line from an old movie perfectly describes my situation. I have been pretty smug in reading these posts about broadcast email failures.....until yesterday. My broadcast was not received by the assembled masses, even though I received the notice that "Your email has been sent to the following recipients:" None of the "following recipients" received in spite of this very positive statement. I used the list of "following recipients" to create a new email list which I used to send the post from my own mail program. I eagerly await the forthcoming "new and improved" LUWS update.....
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Doughy, have you heard anything back yet? We're all gripping our seats!!! ;)
doughy

Post by doughy »

I've called the help desk twice over the last week to follow up. The ticket number keeps getting passed around to different teams, and no one has even looked into it. Today they re-assigned the ticket number to "engineering" and told me to call back in a couple days. They at least acknowledged today that I was getting the run-around, so hopefully they will get on it ASAP. I'll call back on Friday if I haven't heard from them.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”