API for Directory Web App

Do you have a useful link that involves the Church and the technology discussed on this site? Post your links and resources here.
JohnWWright

Re: API for Directory Web App

Post by JohnWWright »

I'm following the discussion about access to the "Public" Member Tools API.

Can we get permission to get "private" access to the Member Tools API?

I'm the Clerk in the Aspen Grove Branch and we have 90 new BYU students (45 men, 45 women) that we need to fill callings in the Branch each year. They are the Staff at Aspen Grove and it changes each year. It's quite a task for the Presidency of the Branch to organize interviews with all the new staff and make new callings.

We are using a Google Form created by BYU and our own database application for storing more information from each Student. We are using GroupMe to communicate with the Staff during the summer camp months.

I would like to simply connect our database to a Private Member Tools API, so when a student/staff changes their phone, picture, email, etc., it will change in our app as well.

Thanks, JohnW
John Wright
Aspen Grove Branch Clerk
801-221-1800
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

JohnWWright wrote:Can we get permission to get "private" access to the Member Tools API?
No.

There is a possibility that BYU OIT could sponsor a BYU project to do this and work with the Membership department to integrate membership data into that application, but there isn't a way that you can get access to any membership data APIs for a ward-sponsored project.
JohnWWright

Post by JohnWWright »

Ok, Thanks. I'll try that!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I sent some follow-up information by private message. For everyone else who might be wondering... It is possible that BYU might feel this is important to support Aspen Grove, but my personal opinion is that it isn't likely. Their IT teams are nice folks and they are also very busy taking care of the needs of the university. They don't have the staff to start building projects for BYU wards.

Short of an official project managed by the Church or an affiliated entity (BYU in the case of this request), there isn't a way to get access to membership data.
JohnWWright

Post by JohnWWright »

Ok, thanks. Just to clarify... We wouldn't need BYU to build a project. We have the Aspen Grove new member tools app built. BYU would just need to get access to the API, which could include the ability for the students to use their Member Tools username and password for SSO.

Also, my "day" job is building cool apps. We built the current "Tree of Life" Augmented Reality app for the Church last year that now has over 250,000 downloads.

We are modifying another note/crm/ticket/database app we are building, called Banna (www.banna.app), to use for the Aspen Grove Member Tools.

Return to “Links & Resources”