Getting HTVT information as JSON or CSV

Discussions around Mobile Development
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Getting HTVT information as JSON or CSV

Post by russellhltn »

jphuns wrote:Which makes me really sad. It seems like the potential for abuse is significantly lower if you move the exports features out of the general directory and into LCR.
Depending on your calling, it's already been removed. The general membership doesn't have that option. They used to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cspinfo@telus.net

Post by cspinfo@telus.net »

russellhltn wrote:There's a growing trend to removing exports. I suspect the church has been burned by people who have misused it. You may find it more likely that they'll implement suggestions on how to make the reports more useful - eliminating the need for a soft copy.
Is this trend away from Exporting membership data continuing, more than a year later? As noted by the OP, there are many needs for Custom Reports by the Bishopric & other auxiliary leaders, and losing the ability to export a custom report altogether just makes more work (& more wasted paper) for everyone (and in some cases, no ability to satisfy particular reporting needs). Losing all exports would make our callings more difficult and be a very, very sad day...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cspinfo@telus.net wrote:Is this trend away from Exporting membership data continuing, more than a year later?
Yes.

I'd suggest making suggestions on what kind of reports you need via the feedback link in LCR. I think the church would be more open to building the reports, or at least creating the capability of custom reports than exporting data. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it as changes happen based on priorities set by the church and rarely meet the time line that members want.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
quinndl

Post by quinndl »

It would be good if there was an ability in the HT reporting to be able to sort by Home Teacher / companionship, or export the data as I am sure we used to be able to do.

I am trying to export the 13 months data to analyze by Companionship their overall visit percentage by Companionship, not by Family which is all the report currently shows. If I could export the data I could sort anyway I want but now, I would have to manually enter all the data into a spreadsheet to manipulate it. Am I missing a standard report somewhere? I have tried selecting various different HT reports and print options but can't seem to get what I want.

We are called to callings to perform a task. I am not sure why the Church would put limits on us to not be able to use the data as required to do our callings as effectively and efficiently as possible.

Please advise.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

quinndl wrote:I am trying to export the 13 months data to analyze by Companionship their overall visit percentage by Companionship, not by Family which is all the report currently shows.
That's going to be difficult, because I don't think the site tracks the change in companionship assignments. The visits are connected to the family only.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

quinndl wrote:Am I missing a standard report somewhere?
Not at all. The Church does not track the activity of home teaching companionships. The Church looks at how effectively the ministering to families is taking place.
mjquito

Post by mjquito »

Which makes me really sad. It seems like the potential for abuse is significantly lower if you move the exports features out of the general directory and into LCR. Right now there is no way to download a simple CSV of the members of my quorum. It seems like the benefit/cost ratio is pretty high for that one.
It is actually possible to create a simple csv. What I did is to get the membership pdf report and use Regex to extract the data. I believe I'm not breaking any policy because this process is similar to as using a paper and a pencil to copy the names to a piece of paper. Instead of that tedious process, I use the computer to do the "copy" (using regex) And, only names are being extracted which is what the current LDS app lets you do, copy a list of names.
Interesting. So why detail them on the public Wiki in the first place? It seems like if it were for internal use only, it would have been documented via internal means. I hate to even bring it up, lest it get taken away. "... but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath." (Matthew 25:29)
I agree with this. The public site http://tech.lds.org/wiki/LDS_Tools_Web_Services should be only accessible to anyone who is contributing to Church approved apps and not the rest. I'm not contributing to any church-approved apps so this site should be restricted to me. Many LDS developers will encounter this same issue and spend time asking the same questions in tech.lds.org. Because, I too was confused and went on requesting JSON data through the API.

Return to “Mobile Development”