Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Post by russellhltn »

marnofi wrote:Is ham radio the same as amateur radio?
Yes.

Amateur Radio is it's proper name, but it's often known by it's nickname Ham Radio.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
munaish

Post by munaish »

Thanks! :)
pbchilds

Post by pbchilds »

OK... In major areas your stake probably can't have its own repeater on 2 meter... You could use 220 0r 440 or even simplex... Simplex might work better in an ate a where there are lots of members...

Mikerowaved wrote:
matthewnielsen wrote:I realize that if a general authority were to start directing that EMCOMM preparation and training take place it could cause unwanted speculation and worry.
Not necessarily. We just had a Hamfest in Salt Lake City, where Allan F. Packer (WA7BKD) of the Seventy gave the Saturday morning keynote address. The brethren have always pushed the issue of being self-reliant in adverse times and communications has always been an important part of that. providentliving.org was setup to continue to get the word out as to what wards, stakes, and/or individuals can do to prepare.

As far as utilizing amateur radio, it's very different here in Utah where there are nearly 450 stakes along the Wasatch Front. Ham radio can play a part, but there isn't enough spectrum available for each stake here to have their own frequency set aside for nets and emergencies.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

In this post I see reference to the "Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property" and a link.
I am wondering with the new General Handbook version 12-2021 is the Facilities Management ..... now outdated?
The date on the one linked in this post is 2011 (I believe).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:32 am I am wondering with the new General Handbook version 12-2021 is the Facilities Management ..... now outdated?
Interesting theory, but doubtful. What usually gets outdated by a new Handbook is the Official Communications (letters) which tend to act as addendums to the Handbook. A new Handbook doesn't automatically supersede all other guides.

But the question of what the current guideline is is an interesting one. I've seen times when the church leaves outdated stuff on the website. The question is if anyone can find a link from known current information to that particular guide. Off hand, I'm not finding one. What I do find seems rather simplistic, which doesn't sound like a replacement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

I was wondering in particular I have reference to the Facilities Management with regards to a "Hold Harmless" form.
Requests by non-members, such as non-profit groups, should be directed to the Stake High Councilor assigned to scheduling. They will communicate with the assigned high councilor. As outlined in the Facilities Management Guidelines, these groups will generally be required to complete a Hold Harmless Agreement form. Just wondering if this is still the case? Thank you..
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:18 am I was wondering in particular I have reference to the Facilities Management with regards to a "Hold Harmless" form.
Requests by non-members, such as non-profit groups, should be directed to the Stake High Councilor assigned to scheduling. They will communicate with the assigned high councilor. As outlined in the Facilities Management Guidelines, these groups will generally be required to complete a Hold Harmless Agreement form. Just wondering if this is still the case? Thank you..
I'm not sure, but Handbook 35.5.8 would apply. It might be called for in the mentioned "Temporary Use Agreement ".

As I read it, the "Hold Harmless" is to protect the church. In the current legal environment, I don't see that need changing.

casper684

Post by casper684 »

I did contact my local FM group and was told that the Facilities Management handbook is obsolute and Church General Handbook dated 12.2021 is now the proper source for this question. Basically section 35. Thank you for your help.
grgibbons

Post by grgibbons »

Yes Amateur Radio and HAM radio are the same. At the present time there is no requirement for Morse Code to get a license
JAYoung

Post by JAYoung »

I am a complete novice, but want to be prepared to offer help to my family and ward in the event our cell phones are not in service in an emergency. I don't believe we have any such provision in our ward for ham radio (I will find out), but I need current advice on what equipment is good to purchase (and from what source), and what training should be obtained. If possible, a rough idea of the cost of said equipment would be appreciated. I have emailed MARA and one other person, but have not had a reply. An older post named equipment, but I would very much appreciate updated suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Return to “General Discussions”