Submit Suggestions for Newsletter Features and Improvements Here!

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
christopherhaws

Re: Submit Suggestions for Newsletter Features and Improvements Here!

Post by christopherhaws »

I haven't read through all the topics, however recently the monthly newsletter came into discussion during Ward Council. We were unfamiliar with the Newsletter tool on LDS.org and had approached using MailChimp until a member spoke up about the Newsletter tool. Some questions I have is; Does this have the ability to add non-members to the list so we can include the surrounding community? Are you required to login to access the Newsletter? Can the Newsletter be sent out as an email rather than accessing through the web? We have many members and non-members that will likely disregard the email due to accessibility. Suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

christopherhaws wrote:Does this have the ability to add non-members to the list so we can include the surrounding community?
No

christopherhaws wrote: Are you required to login to access the Newsletter?
Yes
christopherhaws wrote:Can the Newsletter be sent out as an email rather than accessing through the web?
No
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

As a quick note since and update prompted me visiting this thread again.

The initial query was March 1, I'm wondering what the status might be, was there a decision made or was the information being gathered for a planning meeting for 2017 so in 2017 we can plan to be ready in 2018 to add it to the priority list that may or may not be superseded depending on changing circumstances causing us in 2019 to ask members again whether the newsletter feature should continue to be used and whether members find value in it?

Sometimes I despair a bit with these tools - SO MUCH POTENTIAL, and so often unused and unknown. This ward council mentioned in the last question said they knew nothing about the newsletter, and as they were thinking about something like mailchimp can't know much about the send a message function. Additionally it's concerning that they don't seem to understand the directory concept that some people will choose and opt out of messages like this, but because the leaders can see those messages anyway are likely to have just shared all of them when making a mailchimp distribution. These types of tools have been available for going on 2 decades now, the old system had email distribution as well as a newsletter function (some would call it more robust than the 2.0 version, but I'm only one of them).

Calls into question how seriously the church feels about using these tools, why they are developed if the value isn't demonstrated to bishops and stake leaders and adopted - regardless of which members they feel would benefit. Sorry I know it's a thread jack...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Post by mevans »

johnshaw wrote:Sometimes I despair a bit with these tools - SO MUCH POTENTIAL, and so often unused and unknown.
So true. There's so much potential to help and also bless the lives of members with the tools. Sometimes I wonder if it's a catch-22: they won't get improved if they aren't used, and they won't get used unless they are improved.

If the Newsletter had some kind of push notification it would have a fighting chance. Just imagine if you could choose which categories to which you want to subscribe, and then chose how you want to receive the information: email, text, notification in LDS Tools, voice-to-speech via a phone call, print and postal mail. OK, the last two would incur some costs, so they probably wouldn't happen, but I was trying to figure out how to reach those who don't check email or text messages frequently (if ever).

And let a clerk be able to set options for people who don't want to log in and set them. Some people will never do it themselves, but they'll let others do it for them.

That said...LCR expansion has been a good thing. It finally got some ward council members to at least log in.
jirp

Post by jirp »

The problem is 2 fold. Lack of training from the top down. But the more important issue is people not magnifying their callings and learning it and teaching it from the ground up. Not everyone is capable of learning it without support but those of us who are should be both learning it and teaching it at every opportunity.

Return to “Newsletter”