Opportunity to help Church developers

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Tom,

Until Cindy replies with something actually useful...

One issue, in case you're not already aware of it, is there is not a simple transform from Kanji as used in Japanese into anything phonetic. Most if not all Kanji have multiple potential pronunciations, at least two, often three or four (or maybe more). To transform from Kanji to anything phonetic, the whole word, and perhaps in some cases the rest of the phrase or sentence, must be taken into account.

(Scriptures are made easy to read in Japanese by Furigana, small Hiragana beside the Kanji.)
tom777-p40

Post by tom777-p40 »

rmrichesjr,

Yes, I have been told that in Japanese in general each Kanji has more than one reading. To really do a good job, some people suggested that I'd need to use a dictionary that gives the correct reading of each Kanji word. Question is I don't know how to create a custom transliterator and how to integrate a dictionary.

Tom
ConlinC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Custom transliterators

Post by ConlinC »

Hi Tom,
We've never tried to transliterate Japanese Kanji, for the reasons rmrichesjr mentioned. Instead, we always store two versions of Japanese names--the Kanji and a phonetic (Hiragana, Katakana, or a mix of the two) version of the name, which is the version we transliterate into a romanized name. I'm not sure what your data is like....would an approach like that be a possibility? If you are able to create the rules for a "Kanji to Hiragana" transliterator, I'll be interested to learn more about it.

Anyway, you asked about the process of creating a custom transliterator. I'm still relatively new to ICU, but here's the process that I've used in the past.
1. Since I have typically just modified already existing transliterators that come with ICU, I've called Transliterator.getRules() on the ICU-provided transliterator I want to customize.
2. Then, I create a custom transliterator using Transliterator.createFromRules(), using the ICU rules I found in step 1 as a starting point, but modifying them as needed. For example, this looks like:
ldsKatakanaTrans = Transliterator.createFromRules("LDSKatakana-Latin",
"::[[\\ -~¢£¥¦¬̄₩。-하-ᅦᅧ-ᅬᅭ-ᅲᅳ-ᅵ│-○][~゙、。がぎぐげござじずぜぞだぢづでどばぱびぴぶぷべぺぼぽゔ゙-゛ゞァ-ヺー-ヾ]];\n"+
"::[:Katakana:] halfwidth-fullwidth();\n"+
"::NFD(NFC);\n"+
"。 > '.';\n"+
"、 > ',';\n"+
"ヷ > va;\n"+
"ヷ > va;\n"+ /* LDS: Added u+FF9E variation */
<lots more rules here>,
Transliterator.FORWARD);
3. Next I call Transliterator.registerInstance(), giving it my custom transliterator, so that later on I can call my transliterator in a compound transform. This looks like this:
Transliterator.registerInstance(ldsKatakanaTrans);
japaneseUniversal = Transliterator.getInstance(
"LDSKatakana-Latin; [\u007E] Remove; Any-Title");

Hope this helps. You mentioned wanting to integrate with a dictionary....I'm not sure how you would do that. Perhaps the people on the ICU mailing lists could point you in the right direction on that, or it might be in the documentation available at
http://icu.sourceforge.net/userguide/Transform.html
and here:
http://icu.sourceforge.net/userguide/TransformRule.html
Good luck!
Cindy
Nahum Ortiz-p40

A la orden

Post by Nahum Ortiz-p40 »

Hi everybody:

I always want a site like this. Thanks for all effort in the background of this website. Estoy a la orden de cada uno de Ustedes en traducir programas y si el Señor lo necesita estoy a su entera dispocision.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I'm sad to say I was not able to read all messages, so my question is:
Did you find what you are looking for or do you need still help?
Which is the state of art now?
I'm available to help if it will give me a specific topic to work with!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

marianomarini_vi wrote:I'm sad to say I was not able to read all messages, so my question is:
Did you find what you are looking for or do you need still help?
Which is the state of art now?
I'm available to help if it will give me a specific topic to work with!
I'll notify Cindy that you are willing to help.

Tom
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Sorry for insist!
I see that FamilySearch is still only in English and Spanish.
I think there are many Italian willing use FS without knowing thats languages.
I'm available for Italian translation. I offered my skill before without feedback.
It's so difficult to add new language in that site?
ConlinC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Current Status

Post by ConlinC »

marianomarini_vi, I have forwarded your comments to individuals involved with the development of Family Search, and have asked them to reply to you.

Also, just wanted to report that we have now implemented the "Royal Thai General System of Transcription" for ICU, and so that piece of work is now done. Thanks all for your comments and interest.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

cindyc wrote:marianomarini_vi, I have forwarded your comments to individuals involved with the development of Family Search, and have asked them to reply to you.
Thank you.
cindyc wrote:Also, just wanted to report that we have now implemented the "Royal Thai General System of Transcription" for ICU, and so that piece of work is now done. Thanks all for your comments and interest.
Well done!
aperezra

Re: Opportunity to help Church developers

Post by aperezra »

Good afternoon Cindy,

"Also, just wanted to report that we have now implemented the "Royal Thai General System of Transcription" for ICU, and so that piece of work is now done. Thanks all for your comments and interest."

I'm interested on finding a way to implement the Royal Thai System in ICU... I'm using the Java version of ICU. Is the implementation you performed something I can use? can you guide me in any way on how to resolve this?

This is much appreciated.Thanks!!

Return to “Development Help Wanted”