Airplay through LDS access

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
kreeve

Airplay through LDS access

Post by kreeve »

I am looking to find others who have successfully used Airplay on LDSAccess wifi in church buildings.

My initial attempt failed. It all works on a typical home wifi device. Before I explore more on LDSAccess I thought I would see what success/experience others have had.

Kevin Reeve
YSA 4th Stake
Logan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Airplay through LDS access

Post by russellhltn »

Note that attempting to stream via LDSAccess is discouraged. There is no promise that the available bandwidth will be there. In fact some buildings experience extreme slowness during church meetings. There's also no promise that the church server will handle the load during Sunday School class.

It's suggested that all media be downloaded ahead of time so you're not relying on the network for a smooth presentation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We've used airplay on devices in our meetinghouses. The only time that I've seen it be an issue was back in the olden days when we had multiple user-dhcp scopes provisioned inside the meetinghouse, airplay is not a protocol that can be routed. So, if you happen to NOT have the latest firewall updates that is a potential way that it might not be working.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:So, if you happen to NOT have the latest firewall updates that is a potential way that it might not be working.
That's assuming everything is to church standard. In the early days, folks installed consumer WAPs for APs. That could certainly be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Yes, again, keeping the streak alive! Great point, if you have multiple consumer Wifi/Routers that could also be a potential way it doesn't work.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

Thanks for the insight.

Background-> Typical LDS installed CISCO system with 7 CISCO WAPs
As far as I can tell I have the latest firewall updates installed. I have the Facilities, Public, Family History zones and no update link under Tools.

I was testing airplay as I wanted to do mirroring so a presenter could use his ipad for his powerpoint presentation.

I was however not using a Apple TV as the airplay receiver. I was using Reflector (software) on a mac that acts as an airplay receiver.

I brought in my own netgear WAP and plugged it in and airplay worked just fine.

I will take in an apple TV and test it now that I know from johnshaw that it should work.

At work we have over a thousand access points on an aruba network. Airplay, AppleTV, and Reflector work just fine.

- Kevin
Logan UT YSA 4th Stake

johnshaw wrote:We've used airplay on devices in our meetinghouses. The only time that I've seen it be an issue was back in the olden days when we had multiple user-dhcp scopes provisioned inside the meetinghouse, airplay is not a protocol that can be routed. So, if you happen to NOT have the latest firewall updates that is a potential way that it might not be working.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So how does Airplay work in this situation? Is it just client to client, or does it go to the Internet at all? I'm thinking the problem might be name resolution. One client can't find the other on the network via name.

kreeve

Post by kreeve »

Airplay still uses the wifi. Both devices have to be on the same network.
Bonjour must be allowed for airplay to work I am told. When I get a chance I will test with an Apple TV first. If that works, we know it is something with the reflector (airplay receiver) software on the mac that it does not work exactly as airplay on an apple tv does.

Thanks,

Kevin
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It's a broadcast type of communication, basically the ipad/iphone sends out a request for an airplay like device, it goes to all devices on the network, and the airplay responds. It doesn't need name resolution that I'm aware. Again, we've done this in our meetinghouse in the same room and not had an issue.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

We use Apple TVs (as well as Chromecast and Miracast) to allow members to wirelessly display on TVs. We stress they need to download first and then pay it (most do a good job at this). Airplay Mirroring works great in every meetinghouse I've tested it in.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”